Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bringing mil a photo of kids during shiva

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 2:07 pm
Making a trip to me menacham avel mil. I have a beautiful pic of her and the kids id love to give her. Is it extremely inappropriate during shiva? Won’t be seeing her for a while after this ...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 2:13 pm
It could possibly be a Halachic issue, if it falls under the category of giving a gift, which I don't think you can do during Shiva.

Not sure though...but could be a question for your LOR.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 2:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It could possibly be a Halachic issue, if it falls under the category of giving a gift, which I don't think you can do during Shiva.

Not sure though...but could be a question for your LOR.

Just a note on this. I know you and I both sat shiva for parents. There are pretty much no halachos regarding shiva, aveilus, etc. Just about everything we do is strong minhag. This is not a halachic issue per say, but I agree to ask your LOR.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 2:35 pm
Leave it for her while you're there. Maybe in the living room or kitchen where she'll find it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 3:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
Just a note on this. I know you and I both sat shiva for parents. There are pretty much no halachos regarding shiva, aveilus, etc. Just about everything we do is strong minhag. This is not a halachic issue per say, but I agree to ask your LOR.

I would not want to have this discussion here and derail this thread, but I've heard this before.....but have heard this presented as Halacha. But because I was unsure of this, I wrote it as just a possibility and to check with LOR. And since OP was asking if it's appropriate.....perhaps to check how her MIL would feel receiving it.

I found the whole "halachos of aveilus" (or whatever you want to call it) as very confusing, and so many differences between every LOR that any of us asked (we are 7 sisters B"AH, and sometimes got that many variations) with some holding some of these strong minhagim as Halacha, and some not....

Perhaps OP could give the picture to her FIL.....

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 3:33 pm
Maybe you can hang it discreetly on the fridge? She'll see it after shivah, but you won't be giving it to her during the week.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 4:56 pm
If your father is still alive, he--or any other member of the household who is not also an avel--is allowed to accept gifts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette