Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Kitchen Towels

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 11:47 am
What size would you say a kitchen towel is? It's not a bath towel neither is it a hand towel. Does anyone have the real dimensions? And do they sell it in regular department stores? Thanks in advance.

zaq

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:21 pm
Define kitchen towel.
I use terry cloth hand towels for hands and flat- or-waffle-weave dishtowels for dishes. Never the twain shall meet.
And I use thick cotton terry washcloths for cleanup.

I'm always perplexed when my hosts have only terrycloth towels and there's no indication which is supposed to be used for drying hands. I would never use the same towel for hands as for drying dishes, which is why I don't use those terrycloth dishtowels.

From https://www.goodhousekeeping.c.....owel/

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a tea towel as "a cloth for drying dishes." Often made of linen, cloth, or a combination of the two, tea towels date back to England in the 18th century, when they were used to insulate tea pots at tea ceremonies (hence the name), dry fine china, and cover baked goods. During this time, people also used tea towels to practice embroidery, often gifting friends and family tea towels stitched with flowers, initials, or other designs. As the times changed, so have tea towels: By the 19th and 20th centuries, most tea towels were reportedly made with striped or checked cloth for a more decorative touch.

What's the difference between a tea towel and a dish towel?
Call 'em tea towels, call 'em dish towels: The only time that you shouldn't use the names interchangeably is when you're using a towel made of terry cloth. By definition, tea towels are only made of linen or cotton, whereas dish towels can also be made of terry cloth. Both types of towels, however, are roughly the size of a hand towel, ranging from 16″ x 28″ to 18″ x 30″.

Yes, of course they're sold in department stores as well as online and in some housewares stores, as well as in places like IKEA.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:28 pm
Thank you for your response. The towels that I have in the kitchen for wiping hands are a different size than the ones that they sell in the department stores. I'm thinking if its a 'frum' store type of thing. It's in between a hand towel size and and bath towel size. It's not the 'dishtowel' size that I use for drying the dishes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:41 pm
I use standard hand towel size - 18"x29", which is similar to a dish towel size.
These are bigger than fingertip towels (guest sink towel size), but are way smaller than bath towels.
https://www.thecloseoutconnect.....0.htm
Are you using a different size?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:45 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Thank you for your response. The towels that I have in the kitchen for wiping hands are a different size than the ones that they sell in the department stores. I'm thinking if its a 'frum' store type of thing. It's in between a hand towel size and and bath towel size. It's not the 'dishtowel' size that I use for drying the dishes.

It sounds like you're using bath towel size in the kitchen. And bath sheets for bathing.
For bathing, we use bath towel size for children (28x56), and bath sheets for adults (40x70)

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 1:30 pm
Very possible, though I do think I use some that are a bit smaller than the bath towels. Well, well. I guess I'll find out when I physically measure them. Thanks

Sprinkles1

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 1:38 pm
I always wondered why they don't make in-between sizes! The hand towels get wet in no time, and the bath towels are way too big. Do the heimishe stores sell other sizes?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 1:45 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
I always wondered why they don't make in-between sizes! The hand towels get wet in no time, and the bath towels are way too big. Do the heimishe stores sell other sizes?
I believe they do. I walked into a linen store for something and I saw the in between sized towels. They are very expensive. That's why I want to know if there's something similar elsewhere for cheaper. Smile

zaq

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:19 pm
In a pinch, you could sew two hand towels together to make a single larger towel that may serve your purpose better. I personally would rather use two hand towels, throwing the first in the wash when it gets grungy and switching to a nice clean new one , than use one larger towel.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 5:52 pm
https://www.apartmenttherapy.c.....85516
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars