Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Poll: Bracha achronah, are you good, how about your kids?

Bracha achrona, are you good at remembering and doing it?
I’m good, my kids are good  
 11%  [ 6 ]
I’m good, my kids are not good  
 12%  [ 7 ]
I’m not good, my kids are good  
 9%  [ 5 ]
I’m not good, my kids are not good  
 62%  [ 34 ]
Other, please explain  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 54

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:09 pm
I’m pretty good at remembering to make a bracha rishona but terrible at benching for anything other than bread. Birchas hamazon I never forget but the rest.... Would like to hear how others implement it in their home. After every snack do you remind kids to bench? Do you always remember to bench? embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:11 pm
For those who are not currently raising kids you can reply option 1 or 4 too according to your own behavior.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:13 pm
I'm terrible at it, to the point where I actually try not to eat bread except for Shabbos and Yom Tov.

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I get distracted really easily, and next thing I know I remember 6 hours later! Sometimes I'll wash again and take a single bite of bread, and then bentch - but not always.

DD used to be great at remembering to do brochas, but she's gotten out of the habit. Sad

MommyM

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:15 pm
I'm good, but my kids are still young and need reminding. Very rarely do they remember to do it on their own, but hopefully with time they will grow up to do so.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm terrible at it, to the point where I actually try not to eat bread except for Shabbos and Yom Tov.

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I get distracted really easily, and next thing I know I remember 6 hours later! Sometimes I'll wash again and take a single bite of bread, and then bentch - but not always.

DD used to be great at remembering to do brochas, but she's gotten out of the habit. Sad

Oh I was actually not talking about birchas hamazon because that’s the one thing I don’t forget.
I’m talking about borei nefashos and al hamichya.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:18 pm
MommyM wrote:
I'm good, but my kids are still young and need reminding. Very rarely do they remember to do it on their own, but hopefully with time they will grow up to do so.

If you’re good then iyh your kids will learn by example.
Question: do you bench after every time you drink a cup of water?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:19 pm
Thanks for reminding me to bench Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:20 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Thanks for reminding me to bench Smile

We should start a campaign or something. This applies to men too. Take the minds off lace wigs for a change. Smile

MommyM

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you’re good then iyh your kids will learn by example.
Question: do you bench after every time you drink a cup of water?

Yes, I do. I do it immediately so I don't forget.
My kids don't always see me because I usually say it quietly, but they do encourage it in school, and when I remember that they ate, I try to remind them to bentch too. (Sometimes it's difficult because they're eating on and off all afternoon, but I'll make sure to bentch with them before Shema at night.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:43 pm
MommyM wrote:
Yes, I do. I do it immediately so I don't forget.
My kids don't always see me because I usually say it quietly, but they do encourage it in school, and when I remember that they ate, I try to remind them to bentch too. (Sometimes it's difficult because they're eating on and off all afternoon, but I'll make sure to bentch with them before Shema at night.)

You inspired me to try to work on it!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:57 pm
You don't always have to say a bracha acharona. It's only if you eat a kezayis within the time frame of a few minutes, or if you drink an entire cup in one or two gulps.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
You don't always have to say a bracha acharona. It's only if you eat a kezayis within the time frame of a few minutes, or if you drink an entire cup in one or two gulps.

I unfortunately forget even when it’s kezayis or full cup.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Yes, but normal eating or drinking sizes cover that, don't they? Okay, I'm in favor of downing whole cups in one go whenever I actually remember to drink something and swallowing hearty bites. Guess some women go about it daintier than I do and nibble and take tiny sips... I'm just not princess material, I suppose. King
But I am good at bracha acharona and I do usually say it even after a cup of water and after everything else that's big enough, too.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:04 am
I do forget. But thats because I'm constantly snacking and nibbling here and there throughout the day. I'll take a cookie or something while working in the kitchen, a few minutes later another, then another..... then I dont realize when I'm done. I know its bad eating habits.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:23 am
It's a work in progress?

We're better at it when we sit down to a family meal. Then the kids see me doing it, and copy

Mayflower

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:48 am
After supper I'm good and I remind my kids too.. the problem is with snacks and drinks... I'll have an apple and don't make a brocha acharona straight away cos I still have my cup of tea..and then I'll have another drink, and another snack...until it's time for lunch. I never really stop eating Sad

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:00 am
I posted other. I definitely try to make brachas achronah, but am I always successful? No. Still, I think it's more often than not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics