Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
UPDATE!Accountants: salary for Manager w/ 2 years experience
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:16 pm
Struggling to figure out if I should be considered for a raise or not.
I'm an accountant in the TriState area with a few years of experience, worked my way up within my small, private firm pretty quickly to management level (we are a newish company). I've acquired a lot of knowledge in various in-demand industries (think Nursing Homes, Real Estate...). I work nearly full-time. Frum office. It is a medium-high stress level job and I have shown my dedication with my fair share of late nights and taking on extra work.
I see ads from frum companies offering 70k starting salaries for bookkeepers with little experience and can't figure out if that is standard or generous. I am definitely not paid that much and I know that my boss is a bit stingy when it comes to salaries.

Any thoughts from those in the industry?

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:24 pm
There are headhunters who can help. Have you contacted any?

It seems to me that the accounting field varies widely in terms of going rates. It's largely what the employer can get away with, and some will pay less, and get less experienced candidates who then move on to one of the higher pressure and pay firms.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:26 pm
You need to get paid more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:26 pm
Headhunters would give me information as to what kind of figure I can demand in terms of salary?

I totally hear your last point!
But I am wondering how much I can try to demand at my current job. It's a kind of unspoken issue that I am being underpaid and am aware of it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
You need to get paid more.

Agreed! But the question is how much?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:27 pm
If you are a CPA or an accountant at management level then you are definitely being underpaid.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
If you are a CPA or an accountant at management level then you are definitely being underpaid.

I am in the process of getting my CPA, and my boss told me straight out that the certification does not impact salary, it is internal growth within the company that does.

The twist is that I really only have a couple of years of experience, but grew rapidly within the company along with the company's trajectory of growth. So it's not like I have 10 years of experience.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am in the process of getting my CPA, and my boss told me straight out that the certification does not impact salary, it is internal growth within the company that does.

The twist is that I really only have a couple of years of experience, but grew rapidly within the company along with the company's trajectory of growth. So it's not like I have 10 years of experience.

Are you bringing in clients?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Are you bringing in clients?

No. Isn't that a Partner role?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. Isn't that a Partner role?

really depends on the firm.

He should be paying you what he would need to pay to replace you. This is where a quick chat with a headhunter may be able to help you. Be prepared to explain what your role entails. (Are you managing people or files, or both?)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:37 am
We are not expected to bring in clients, but do get some sort of commission if we do.

I am managing people - taking point on client accounts and doing the high-level work, while making sure the others working on the account are getting their work done and answering any questions they may have.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are not expected to bring in clients, but do get some sort of commission if we do.

I am managing people - taking point on client accounts and doing the high-level work, while making sure the others working on the account are getting their work done and answering any questions they may have.

I would change the title of the thread to "Accountants: appropriate salary for x yrs experience and management responsibilities" or something like that, so people who are more relevant may be more likely to click on your thread and respond.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:45 am
My husband is an accountant oot making over 6 figures with nice benefits. He has his CPA. Working about 4 years. I don't know if that helps..

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:50 am
Respond to some of the ads you see and even go for interviews. See what they offer. Then you can let your boss know what offer you have and he can match it or you switch positions. It sounds like you are being under paid.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:17 am
CPA here, an accountant with management experience in the nyc area should be making at least 100k for a full time position. The only exception would be if you were working for a non profit or someplace that offered a particular benefit that would make the reduced pay worth it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:21 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
CPA here, an accountant with management experience in the nyc area should be making at least 100k for a full time position. The only exception would be if you were working for a non profit or someplace that offered a particular benefit that would make the reduced pay worth it.

Right - but they also would have more than 2 years of working experience. Its significant.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:47 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I would change the title of the thread to "Accountants: appropriate salary for x yrs experience and management responsibilities" or something like that, so people who are more relevant may be more likely to click on your thread and respond.

Good point, changed!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:50 am
Time to start putting feelers out to see what your true value is on the market. Contact head hunters and also start looking at jobs. If you have friends in the field, let them know that you would appreciate if they let you know about opportunities.

The reality is that for the most part the only way to get a real raise is to change positions. That is why it is critical to negotiate for a market rate salary when you start because once you are in a job, the increases will be a percentage of the original salary so you might wind up being paid significantly less than someone who was a better negotiator and then this is compounded because they will be increased more each year because the raise will be a percentage of salary which compounds.

You seem to have gained a lot of valuable experience in the job. When you do your resume make sure it is the new style of resume which stresses achievements and actual job duties instead of a mere recital of dates and job titles.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:51 am
I think your underpaid by a lot.
Unless you really like your job I wouldn’t negotiate. I’d just move on. .

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 8:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
Time to start putting feelers out to see what your true value is on the market. Contact head hunters and also start looking at jobs. If you have friends in the field, let them know that you would appreciate if they let you know about opportunities.

The reality is that for the most part the only way to get a real raise is to change positions. That is why it is critical to negotiate for a market rate salary when you start because once you are in a job, the increases will be a percentage of the original salary so you might wind up being paid significantly less than someone who was a better negotiator and then this is compounded because they will be increased more each year because the raise will be a percentage of salary which compounds.

You seem to have gained a lot of valuable experience in the job. When you do your resume make sure it is the new style of resume which stresses achievements and actual job duties instead of a mere recital of dates and job titles.
\

Thank you, this is good advice. It makes sense to focus on my achievements on my resume, as they exceed the average person's with my years' of experience.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics