Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
NYC Sidewalk Violation, $1500 job let city do it or private?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:33 am
I just got a violation to repair the sidewalk in front of my home in BP.

Violation says its a 50 feet area that the city would repair for about $1500.

What are the pros and cons of city doing it or me getting a contractor to do it?

TIA

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:45 am
Did they say what kind of violation it was? A private contractor might be less expensive (That's been our experience)

bsy

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:48 am
If the city does it, they will do it the way they want. I've heard that ppl who did it themselves had to redo it because it wasnt to the city's satisfaction.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:49 am
Just a simple cost benefit analysis.

Find out what a qualified person would charge you.

If it is less than what the city will charge, decide whether it is better to have the city do it because they will take care of everything and you won’t have to worry about submitting any proof or worrying if it is up to their standards.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:22 pm
Amarante wrote:
Just a simple cost benefit analysis.

Find out what a qualified person would charge you.

If it is less than what the city will charge, decide whether it is better to have the city do it because they will take care of everything and you won’t have to worry about submitting any proof or worrying if it is up to their standards.

When we hired outside workers, it was in their contract to handle all the paperwork/approvals. But that might not be the case for a job this small.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:25 pm
I’ve heard that it’s better to use the city, since they can’t have violations or complaints on their own work after.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:27 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
When we hired outside workers, it was in their contract to handle all the paperwork/approvals. But that might not be the case for a job this small.

True.

The only way to make a decision is to find out what you would be charged by a private company and then decide whether the cost differential, if any, is worth potentially dealing with issues. If you use the city contractor, you don’t have to do a thing. You don’t have to find someone; you don’t have to check references:; you don’t have to worry that it was done correctly and they submitted paperwork.

You just call them and pay them and that is it.

For some people, not having to worry about it is worth it. But it depends on the cost differential ajd the individual and how much they value their time.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
True.

The only way to make a decision is to find out what you would be charged by a private company and then decide whether the cost differential, if any, is worth potentially dealing with issues. If you use the city contractor, you don’t have to do a thing. You don’t have to find someone; you don’t have to check references:; you don’t have to worry that it was done correctly and they submitted paperwork.

You just call them and pay them and that is it.

For some people, not having to worry about it is worth it. But it depends on the cost differential ajd the individual and how much they value their time.

I was about to come back and add this. I made DH deal with this issue, and he had the stomach to get a better deal. Yay for him. Me, I'd have been worried and wanted the certainty.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:57 pm
I am very intrigued by this
I liked in Brooklyn for 30 years but only in apartments

Then I moved to lakewood

Are you saying that in BP you pay proprty taxes and city taxes and state taxes and you have to pay for sidewalk on top of that ???

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:59 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Then I moved to lakewood

Are you saying that in BP you pay proprty taxes and city taxes and state taxes and you have to pay for sidewalk on top of that ???

This is standard in most cities that have sidewalks. Homeowners are responsible for sidewalk. You can be sued if someone trips on your sidewalk and injures themselves. Just like you can be sued if you don’t clear snow and ice and someone falls.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:11 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Then I moved to lakewood

When we lived in Teaneck we were responsible for sidewalk also. Not in Lakewood?

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:43 pm
Our violation was a tree root. So I went to a website that asks NYC to repair tree root damage. I was denied by the agency because it wasn’t a pressing danger. Then came Covid. Then I never heard back about the violation (it’s been a year and a half).

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just got a violation to repair the sidewalk in front of my home in BP.

Violation says its a 50 feet area that the city would repair for about $1500.

What are the pros and cons of city doing it or me getting a contractor to do it?

TIA

I just got one of those too! I wouldn’t let the city do it, they can charge whatever they like... get an honest person to give you an estimate.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:39 pm
We got our own guy to do our sidewalk (also tree root issues) and it was cheaper but we were nervous because we were told the city might not approve of the job. But it's been 10 years and they never came to check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries