Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Has anyone gone from smart phone to flip/dumb phone?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:17 pm
I really really want to give up my smartphone. I don't enjoy the constant on call etc. I've already deleted most apps but I want to cut back even more.
It's not even a hashjafa thing. I don't want that lifestyle.

The thing is, I've had a smart phone for 10 years now and practically I don't know how to go backward. I use it for work, music, gps. I want to know how to learn not to rely on my phone anymore and how people do it. Specifically people who HAD phones and now don't.

I really want to do it but I would love some tips.
Have you done it?
How?
Any tips?

(Under amother because I had this convo in real life.)

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:22 pm
I haven’t but DH has. It’s doable just involves more work.
He has a GPS in the car. He kept his phone for just WhatsApp but ended up not using it so much so got rid of it completely. For music, he downloads it onto his SIM card in his kosher phone.

I have heard of people getting smart watches instead of phones- that’s not going down to flip phones but gets rid of a lot of stuff the smart phone will give that you don’t want

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:27 pm
I wish I could!!! I originally said I got it for work but truth be told, these days it can all be done on computer. I can even send messages to get virtual signatures for therapy sessions.
It makes life more convenient. Can do my paperwork anywhere. Listen to music. Research for work.
But.... There are apps to block apps during certain times. Maybe we can do that.

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:29 pm
Cold turkey works.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:14 pm
I've done it
I had no choice as I moved and the moised wouldn't allow mothers to have smartphones.
Im so happy I had to do it, looking back I was soo into it, it took over my life, I only realized once I didnt have it anymore, I

I still have a laptop though as I work
those whatsapp groups took over my life...
hatzlacha

IsraeliSoul

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:37 pm
Wow I admire all of you who have the courage to do what’s right even if it’s hard.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:43 pm
Following
Would really love to have the courage to do this.
I guess I would miss the camera.
Do you just get a new flip phone and then change to it?
Trying to think about why I really need a smartphone.
GPS is a biggie.
Can we create a support group? I’d love to do this but not sure I will.

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:46 pm
Following
I tried using it just for work and getting a dumb phone for the rest of the time but it was way too hard trying to keep track of two phones. I ended up always leaving the house without one or the other so I just reverted back to a smartphone only.

Now I have two smartphones. A personal and work and it's very annoying

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:48 pm
You can also just block everything besides GPS and email for example

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 6:54 pm
Also grappling with this, OP I admire you’re courage! Maybe try it for a week or two? If you tell yourself it’s just a tryout and not necessarily for good it may be easier. Once you’ve tried if for a short while and see the pros and cons you can make a longer term commitment.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 7:04 pm
what about the smartphone makes you be constantly 'on call'?
You can get a a filter for the phone that blocks all apps except the really necessary ones such as google maps, camera, email, music etc..... and still have the benefits of the phone.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 7:37 pm
I did a few years ago. It was tough. I did it because I really felt it was the right thing to do. I work and was always available now when I am not there too bad unless I am home and have access to a computer. I really didn't do it for any specific merit at all but my son got engaged a few weeks later to a wonderful girl and I believe it was in that zchus.

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 7:51 pm
I got rid of my smartphone when I got married. Best decision ever!
I can't imagine having a smartphone anymore, especially now that I have kids. I struggle enough with giving them my full attention without such a distraction, I can't imagine what it would be like if I had that pull.
We use a GPS when needed, and have internet at home, so we are not completely cut off Smile
For music, you can always use an old ipod touch or MP3 player.
For work, it depends what you need. If you need Whatsapp, you can always do a certain hack through BlueStacks to download it onto a ipad or laptop.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 9:44 pm
So tell me why I don’t need it?
I’m listening....
I want ti be convinced.

Crookshanks

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:16 pm
Halevai I was strong enough to get rid of it. I can't go back to pressing buttons 3 times to text 😂
I also don't have internet access at home and I like having access to my emails at home.

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:50 pm
I got my first smartphone 12 years ago. 9 years ago I switched back to a flip phone, after the citifield asifah. I switched back to a smartphone 2 years ago because I needed it for work.

The biggest difference I found was the camera quality. But today the flip phones really are smart phones, just in a flip phone. Many of them have fantastic cameras.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:05 pm
I've wanted to do it for years.
But I use it for waze (my commute is over an hour), shiurim, youtube, im an SLP for YVY and need to take daily session notes...

when I first got married we didnt have wifi in the house but we got it when covid struck and my graduate school went online :/

I took such special pics of my baby on my iphone.

I want to get off, bc even when im playing with my baby I have one eye on my phone.

any chizuk?

amother
Azalea

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:10 pm
I switched back to a flip phone. But the only way I was able to do it was cuz I was sorta forced to. My smartphone broke and I needed a new one. Was easier than just giving up a working one. I remember when I had the smartphone I used to hope it would fall into the sink or I would lose it so it would be easier to give it up. I do have a laptop but it's not even close to the way the smartphone bugs into our lives... I couldnt put it away when the kids were around cuz "oh I must text my hub now to remind him..." Or "the dentist called to switch appt so I need to add it into calendar..."
I did get a good quality camera though. And I buy cd's, very old fashioned. but I'm so grateful I gave it up. And since then DH also stopped bringing his phone in from his car. He used to be busy with business at home, or just sit around on whatsapp or linkedin... nothing crazy but this constant being "on" just doesnt give u a break.
I do miss it though cuz most in my and DH family have smartphone and could make me feel left out. I try to focus on what I gained!

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:26 pm
I've taken the leap. It was not easy. Especially since you can hardly find the flip phones with keyboards. So I had to get the one with 3 letters on every key. So annoying. It took more than a few days to get used to. It was like learning a new language. But you should see how fast I can type now! I have t9word on my phone so that's helpful. It's a big change but with will power you can get there. And I really don't miss my smartphone anymore. I cant believe I'm saying it because it took a really long time getting used to

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:33 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Halevai I was strong enough to get rid of it. I can't go back to pressing buttons 3 times to text 😂
I also don't have internet access at home and I like having access to my emails at home.

This is my biggest issue, as silly as it sounds. I don't use my phone for anything other than text and calls, but since slide-out keyboards on phones stopped being a thing, I couldn't go back to phone texting. We have a laptop at home with internet access which is used for banking, both DH and my emails, and of course imamother.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics