Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Possible to get strep while on abx for pandas?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 7:34 pm
My three year old is on a Zithromax for pandas. He got a very runny nose and is acting koo koo. His friend that he sat with on the bus has strep.

Can he get strep while on antibiotics?

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 7:42 pm
Not in my experience. However being exposed to strep will bring out panda behaviors.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 3:06 pm
It never hurts to test. There are gram negative and gram positive types of strep, and the antibiotic you are giving may not be the right one for the type of strep he has.

I currently have strep AND an acute sinus infection. I'm taking Amoxycare. It's been a week already, and it's not clearing up. If I don't feel better by the time I finish this pack, I'm probably going to have to take Cipro.

Cipro is like dropping a nuclear bomb to get rid of an ant hill. It works, but it kills everything in it's path in the process. Confused

amother
Valerian

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
Not in my experience. However being exposed to strep will bring out panda behaviors.

My pediatrician said this. The titer levels go up when they are around strep even if they don't have the infection.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:02 pm
Always check , my son was not himself went back to the doctor, and even though he was on Zithromax he tested positive for strep. So don’t let anyone tell you they can’t get strep while on antibiotics. But side note, If child is exposed to strep or a virus they can react to that even without contracting the strep. Refuah shelama

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:20 pm
Thanks for the replies. So I will have him tested. But in the event the strep is negative. Is there anything that can be done about pandas flairup. Or will it pass?

amother
Sunflower

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So I will have him tested. But in the event the strep is negative. Is there anything that can be done about pandas flairup. Or will it pass?
Yes it’s possible to get an acute strep infection even while on antibiotics for pandas. If its a flare from being exposed, you can do ibuprophen, naproxen, an anti histamine, epsom salt baths, Gaba, l theanine, magnesium or whatever else you usually do for inflammation or flares.

amother
Freesia

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ask your doctor this question. Many doctors have different approaches to this.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:47 am
My son definitely has a flare up if exposed to strep.
its a problem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics