Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
If you wear socks/tights

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:52 pm
NOTE: this question is not relevant to those who do not hold socks are necessary at all. Please move along.

If your minhag (minhag hamakom or whatever) is that socks/tights are a required part of tznius, are they also required within your own home when making brachos etc?

For example, I fully cover my hair outside the home, the halacha (not chumra) is that it is not required inside the home, but I put on a covering at home for davening, kiddish, etc. I should probably be wearing it for all brachos but I don't usually remember if I'm saying a Bracha on a snack, for instance.

I never thought as much about my feet, idk, maybe just because they're lower down and I don't pay as much attention. I always put something on for formal davening, but besides that I haven't thought about it until someone brought it up. I would like to know if anyone knows what the HALACHA is about this.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:00 pm
I've never asked about the halacha. Maybe I should. In practice, I normally walk around with bare feet in the house during the summer. I'll put on shoes to daven, but not normally socks, unless I am anyway dressed to leave the house. I wear long skirts, close to ankle length, so that means my legs are somewhat covered anyway.

questioner

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:00 pm
You don’t have to be tzniusdik to make a bracha, a man cannot say a bracha if he is near a woman who is not tzniusdik

Aylat

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:34 pm
AFAIK the only issue would be שמונה עשרה. For brachot, tehillim etc, although it's better to be dressed tzniut, only literal ערווה has to be covered.
But שמונה עשרה is considered to be standing before the King, עומד לפני המלך, and so you should be dressed in a way that you would go out in public. Ie a nightgown, even if tzanua because it covers you, is not appropriate for שמונה עשרה because you wouldn't wear it in the public eye.
So (I think) that if you would not go out without wearing socks or tights, then it could be you should make sure to wear them for שמונה עשרה.

Major caveat: this is my own reasoning, I didn't specifically ask a shaila about it.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:36 pm
questioner wrote:
You don’t have to be tzniusdik to make a bracha, a man cannot say a bracha if he is near a woman who is not tzniusdik

I learned the same. As long as you're not naked and not looking at your erva, you can make a bracha.

proudmomma

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:40 pm
My husband was told that he can't make a bracha near me if my feet are uncovered.
I believe that I can.

SYA

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:42 pm
A woman can make a Brocha if her feet are uncovered.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:14 pm
If I'm not wearing socks at home (early morning- late night). I will say brachos and do whatever I want withouth socks but sometimes I'll feel guilty about it so I really can't help you 😉

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:16 pm
You would have a problem making a bracha in the mikvah if you weren’t allowed to have feet uncovered.
I make sure to cover my feet for davening. But not for brachos.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:55 pm
I guess there's also a dignity aspect... like I wouldn't daven without being fully dressed (including socks and hair cover), I'm not careful with food brachos, but then there's an in between zone - like I wouldn't come to the Shabbos table for kiddish without a head covering, so is it a double standard or wishy-washy to demand head covering but forgo footwear? I also cover my hair for candle lighting, havdalah, etc.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 4:08 pm
I think there is a difference between covering hair and legs in halacha. So I don't think it's wishy washy to cover hair but my legs, especially if you're wearing a long skirt.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:32 am
Yes, that's why I raised the question. My understanding is that socks generally go according to minhag hamakom, which to my admittedly very limited understanding makes me think that it only applies outside. I do wonder if I should be fostering a higher sense of respect for kiddish, havdalah, etc by having me and my girls wear socks... idk, this whole thing was sparked by another person's judgment and now I'm doubting myself.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:36 am
It's definitely a nice thing to aspire to. If you want your girls to do this when they get older, you can do it now to set an example. But this would not be my tznius or chinuch hill to die on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions