Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Why use a realtor?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 9:52 am
What is the advantage in using a realtor? In my area all available houses are listed on zillow. Seems like overkill to have someone show us all the houses we can see ourselves. So can someone explain what I would gain from using one? I know the area and I know what I want/ need in a house. I also researched all the things to look out for and what the process is.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:07 am
My understanding is that if you're selling a good realtor can get you a significantly higher price, making up for the percentage s/he gets from the sale price. And if you're buying, it helps to have someone who knows the real going rates, and knows how the house you're considering compares to others recently sold in the same condition and neighborhood, and will be able to negotiate you the best deal possible, while also warning you of possible pitfalls.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:25 am
Many times a realtor will know about houses going up for sale. Also a house that is for sale by realtor you can only see it with a realtor. Your realtor will be in touch with the houses realtor. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the other realtor whether you trust him or not.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:48 am
Do you have anything to lose by using a realtor to see a house? My understanding is that if a house is on Zillow and is being sold thru a realtor, the seller will pay the realtor. If you show up to see the house with your own realtor, the sellers realtor will have to share the commission with your realtor if you buy the house. I don't see how anything comes out of your pocket. Am I missing something here?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Do you have anything to lose by using a realtor to see a house? My understanding is that if a house is on Zillow and is being sold thru a realtor, the seller will pay the realtor. If you show up to see the house with your own realtor, the sellers realtor will have to share the commission with your realtor if you buy the house. I don't see how anything comes out of your pocket. Am I missing something here?

It just feels like an annoying extra step. Also if the realtor has to share commission with my realtor wouldn’t they be more inclined to make a sale go through with a person who doesn’t bring a realtor?

Maryann

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:49 pm
It doesn't cost you anything
Why wouldn't you want to use one?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:55 pm
There is no cost to use a realtor for the buyer. I don’t see why you wouldn’t want one. It’s someone to help you along with the process, negotiate etc. agree that in general realtors are less helpful now that there is the internet but it’s still how these transactions are done for now

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:16 pm
Another thing to keep in mind is that your realtor knows what houses will go up for sale before you do, and can make you appointments to see them.

In my community all the houses get listed on Zillow too. The house that I'm in middle of buying I saw in person 2 hours with my realtor before it got put onto zillow, and made an offer that day. It had only been "listed" for about 8 hours before they had mine and a few other offers already. They accepted our offer that night and the next day it was already off zillow..

Theres also a lot of steps between looking at a house and buying. Getting pre-approvals (you will need a mortgage broker), sending offers, scheduling inspections, finding a lawyer, going to contract, etc. If youve never bought a home before it is very helpful to have someone in your corner who knows all about the process and can guide you through it.

Its also my understanding that if a home is being sold through an agent, you would need your own agent to communicate and be able to go see it, unless there was an open house. At the end of the day, there is no downside to using your own agent, especially since the sellers pay for it and not you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating