Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Duffel bag

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:41 pm
Sending my oldest to camp for the 1st time. What should I buy her to pack her stuff in? What size duffel bag?
Any links to one that I can order online?
I saw on Amazon 20" or 24" or 28"

Any idea what size? What kind?

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:53 pm
Feel free to skip over my post, but I went to camp for many years. For the first few, I packed in a duffel bag, but then I learnt that boxes are way neater & compact. Much easier to pack & unpack, things dont move around like they would in a duffel bag

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:05 pm
Thanks for your good advice!!
Regular cardboard boxes,?

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your good advice!!
Regular cardboard boxes,?

Yep! And no, I was not the nerd in camp:) lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:07 pm
Just thinking, how would she pack coming home?? Boxes get all smashed? She can tape it well that it won't pop open??
Just trying to think how can work it out

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just thinking, how would she pack coming home?? Boxes get all smashed? She can tape it well that it won't pop open??
Just trying to think how can work it out

Good Question!! My friends & I Used to store our boxes underneath our mattresses:)
Just open the tape & fold to store. Send along a roll of tape for packing for the way home. She does need to tape them up well....

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:14 pm
If you live near amazing savings, they have duffel bags on wheels. I was told they are popular for camp and pretty reasonably priced. They only had 36 inch so that's what I got. First time camp mother here too:)

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:16 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
If you live near amazing savings, they have duffel bags on wheels. I was told they are popular for camp and pretty reasonably priced. They only had 36 inch so that's what I got. First time camp mother here too:)

This is what I used to use, but found cardboard boxes to be way more practical.....but to each their own!
Good luck! And remind your daughters, Packing is half the fun!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:27 pm
I wouldn't send boxes. Maybe it depends on the camp, but usually luggage gets delivered to the general area where the bunks are and the kids are responsible for schlepping them to their own bunkhouse. It's much easier to do that with a duffel on wheels than to carry heavy boxes. Also, the camp usually limits campers to 2 pieces of luggage plus a carry on (like airlines, although camp carry ons are usually big nosh boxes or plastic drawers) so you might not be able to fit in all the things your daughter needs in 2 normal size boxes without making them extremely heavy and likely to break.

I usually get duffels at Amazing Savings or I heard Costco sells them too.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:31 pm
Are you in the tri-state area? Amazing Savings has great ones on wheels in the 30s range.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:43 pm
Thanks everyone.
So maybe I'll just pick up at Amazing savings

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:41 am
How much are they in Amazing Savings?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:01 am
Quickaid in Boro Park
Millers all carry duffel bags and suitcases.
If the camp allows only a limited amount of luggage then you may need to go with duffel bags.
Going to camp a first time is hard but it's fun. It's harder for mommy than for the kid herself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics