Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Adderall side effects?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:21 am
My dd (11) has been on Adderall for about a month and a half. All in all, I'm happy, I just want to know if what I've noticed going on since then is related to the medicine, or something else.

1. First of all, days she doesn't take the medicine, her symptoms seem very exacerbated. She seems more impulsive, emotional, talkative, wild, even more than when she started the medicine. Is this just me noticing it more now since she's started the medicine, or is it some sort of withdrawal, and not just in my head?

2. She's started hormonally developing rather quickly. It is the right age for those things to happen, but it seems quite sudden. Can it be related to the medicine?

3. This could be related to point number 2, but she cries a lot. A lot. More than usual. Wondering if that, too, is part of it.

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:39 am
With me, I got a racing heartbeat, anxiety, and finally panic attacks. I can't tolerate any kinds of stimulants at all.

Everyone reacts differently. One man's poison is another man's refuah.

Please address your specific questions to your pediatrician.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:29 am
Threw up every night cuz I couldn’t eat when taking it - since it felt like I was on speed. So I’d be so nauseated from not eating all day I’d throw up bile

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:08 am
I was on it for two days. I was psycho and my mom called my doctor to have me switch. He put me on concerta.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:14 am
Call your doctor.

There are possible other explanations for what you're seeing.

The development spurt could totally be coincidental.

The wild behavior on off days is not uncommon. It's some combination of everyone not being used to what life is like without the meds, and actual side effect.

The crying could be hormonal, related to the development spurt, or not.

Therefore, it's important to talk to the doctor. And also see what DD says about how she feels.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:57 am
My friend is on it. She says she has less appetite, and when it wears off (about 4) she gets very hungry. She doesn't take it on the weekend when she doesn't work (she claims it's to help her focus) as she says it makes her feel not like herself.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:59 pm
Thank you all for your input so far. I'm bumping this for more replies. Anyone familiar with the symptoms I listed in my OP possibly being side effects of this medicine? Thanks!

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 3:43 pm
I can only answer number one. The answer is yes, you are correct. It is due to withdrawal that her ADHD symptoms are exaggerated when she is not on the medication.

Eta: I just reread your post. I do not know about number two, but for number three: a lot of people experience anxiety with this medication. They also feel very down / lonely / unproductive if they are not actively engaged in productive activity while on the medication. I don't know if this is the case with your daughter, but it's something to discuss. Try to explore with her what is bothering her when she cries.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 4:22 pm
Yes, I do feel really terrible if I forget to take it. Bc the brain has gotten used to the dopamine hit.
My side effects are dry mouth, lowered appetite, and occasionally, anxiety/racing heart. mostly its the thirst that's the hardest to deal with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)