Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have a toddler who was or is extremely delayed?
Previous  1  2

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:51 am
My son is 4 and only just started speaking a few words and even those are not so clear to most people. But he is mostly able able communicate his needs and wants and his receptive language is aamazing. He does have an AAC device but doesn't like to use it at home.

He has other delays as well and it's all part of the same issue he has.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:15 am
Not my own but my nephew walked at 20 months after intense pt for almost 12 months.
Spoke very late with speech therapy. Had what they call "special instruction" a few times a week too.
He was also bald till a very big age. Just looked like a jumbo outgrown newborn.
He also seemed to have no personality. Very bland. When he turned 3 he looked like a cancer patient with no hair.
His therapists all were stumped how he just wasn't getting ahead at first. My sister keept saying he still needs more time. He wasn't her first or second or 6th child....
The pediatrician threatened to call cps if she won't give him any services.

At 3 she stopped all therapy
Rest assured.... he's 5. Has a head full of hear. He "grew into" his huge size head and looks adorably cute. Like really really stand out from the rest cuteness.
He talks nonstop and has enough personality for 5 ppl. Lol!

One thing he does struggle with still is some anxiety. He's terrified of the slide and big swings and stuff like that. So the one thing he is getting is ot. Which helps.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
evaluators cannot diagnose a child.

do you live in NY?

I'm pretty sure you CAN get a diagnosis during a EI psychological evaluation. (Being that I WASN'T given one)

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Do you work with P2G? Curious because I feel like so little therapists in our community are familiar with it.

Yes.
I find that therapists in the frum community are not as up to date as non Jewish SLPs. My friends who are not Jewish dedicate their lives to this field, its their passion. The type their instagram profiles say "SLP." To me its a job. I leave my work and I come home to my family.

Its a very diff. mentality.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics