Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Working with toddler

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:47 am
She's in general pretty well behaved, but as soon as she sees me sitting at my computer she wants to sit on my lap and touch the computer. Obviously can't get any work done that way.

Any suggestions?

mandr

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:54 am
Send to babysitter. Working with a toddler (or baby, for that matter) does not work. At all. I have tried it! I was working with my newborn and never got to work for a solid 2 hour stretch... even though people claim babies sleep all the time... just not when you're working.

mig100

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:13 am
Yep working with toddlers is hard. Once they start walking and climbing..they need a babysitter

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:34 am
I have the same thing. It’s become impossible to work with her touching my keyboard and intentionally making noise when I’m on a call etc. When she was younger it was much easier. She needs to be cared for by someone else in the meantime, husband, babysitter, older child etc or playgroup.

mandr

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:25 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have the same thing. It’s become impossible to work with her touching my keyboard and intentionally making noise when I’m on a call etc. When she was younger it was much easier. She needs to be cared for by someone else in the meantime, husband, babysitter, older child etc or playgroup.

When was it ever easy?

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:49 am
Until 18 months - 2 yrs I found doable. 2-3 very hard. After 4 doable again.

I work 2-3 hrs with 2 and 5 yr old home.
I have activities like stickers, white board, crayons. We cycle toys. Do puzzles. Listen to tapes. Eat snacks.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:30 am
It's really hard. I never found I was able to 'work' for any real length of time with little kids around. The only way I managed was to work in the evening once kids are asleep.

mandr

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:13 am
During quarantine time I only worked from 8pm to 12 am sometimes even alter! It’s impossible for me with any kids around. Even if they play together for an hour they would still interrupt me during that time. And I can’t focus…

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:29 am
mandr wrote:
During quarantine time I only worked from 8pm to 12 am sometimes even alter! It’s impossible for me with any kids around. Even if they play together for an hour they would still interrupt me during that time. And I can’t focus…

I think the reason it works for me is bec I’ve been doing it for 16 yrs and it’s how my kids know life.
I’d imagine if someone would only start when kids are older it would’ve harder to learn routine

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:31 am
At age 9 months I had to send to a babysitter. It wasn’t worth the stress. I don’t want to be stressed out from my children. I want to be 100% loving and there for them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:38 pm
She's away most of the day, but sometimes there are things that need to get done later. She's pretty good at playing independently- but only until she realizes that I'm sitting at my computer.

mig100

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She's away most of the day, but sometimes there are things that need to get done later. She's pretty good at playing independently- but only until she realizes that I'm sitting at my computer.

ya sounds familiar. they want to be the most important and they have a 6th sense when they are not. sometimes I try putting them in highchair next to me with some finger food. the older they get the harder it is to work

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I can’t get long stretches of work done with a toddler around, but when I need to take care of something relatively quick on off hours I find my best bet is a high chair with good snacks that take a while to eat (sliced apple is a good one for us). If the toddler is playing, sometimes I can get more work done if I stand and the computer is fully out of reach then if I’m sitting at the table. I set my computer on the mantle for this.

tiedyed4life

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:45 pm
Education TV and snacks, I've been working from home for 9 years my kids are 4 and 2 now. Babies nap so I work during the nap and over 2 they'll watch TV in the room while I work. Or play outside while I work on my laptop. Interactive toys like lego or playdough get me long stretches too. I avoid the phone

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:59 pm
It's the most horrible thing ever, working with children around.
I feel pulled in half; can't concentrate on work, end up making mistakes and yelling at the kids.

I'm a terrible mother and a terrible employee and I end up hating myself.
I wouldn't do it for a million dollars.

There's a reason babysitters and playgroups exist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers