Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
A Doona literally is a stroller
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:21 pm
gamanit wrote:
Regarding expensive strollers- in almost every place where these expensive strollers are the norm, this is taking the place of a car pretty much. This is how the baby gets around all day, every day. Those who are judging people for these one-time expensive purchases somehow seem to conveniently forget that they are not paying the same car expenses. Car ownership isn't cheap either.

That's because they're spending money in other ways. A non-car city lifestyle has other expenses built in that take the place of car expenses.

It's said how thoroughly the marketing statements of these stroller companies have entrenched themselves within the minds of some in our community. Once there, the groupthink spreads like wildfire and becomes almost irrefutable for many.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Oh ok, wish you could have made that clearer so I could’ve saved some time.
I still question your motivations for having such a discussion. Seems oddly more important to you that the debatably correct word is used rather than people call it a car seat on wheels or car seat stroller hybrid, and thereby prevent people from possibly using the Doona unsafely. Words are not just letters, they convey meaning that is important and should be chosen with precision.

The debatably correct word is car seat. That's the technical use for the Doona. All the OP proved is that according to her, you can't say it's NOT a stroller.

gamanit

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
That's because they're spending money in other ways. A non-car city lifestyle has other expenses built in that take the place of car expenses.

It's said how thoroughly the marketing statements of these stroller companies have entrenched themselves within the minds of some in our community. Once there, the groupthink spreads like wildfire and becomes almost irrefutable for many.

City income is usually higher too. Personally, I always got lower to middle range strollers but I did need to replace them more than my friends who spent more. It's not just marketing. The expensive ones do actually last longer.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:11 pm
clowny wrote:
And if I choose to navigate the streets without getting there by car, then I’m using it incorrectly?
Is it only allowed to be used if I needed it because I was earlier in a car?

Technically, yes. As others have mentioned here, it was designed with the safety measures applicable for a car seat. The intent behind it was to be able to steer the car seat on short trips out of the vehicle so not to have to take the baby in and out of the car seat.

Its height of versatility is for the moms who are running from one errand to another, and can avoid having to take the baby in and out of the car seat again and again at each stop.

So choosing this as your regular stroller for your daily stroll or long excursions, when there's no need for a car seat, is using it incorrectly. The safety measures and comforts are not designed for that purpose. It's basically having the mom focusing on her preferences or her status, versus what's better for the baby.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
A good expensive stroller is worth the investment %100. I can't say that same for a car seat.

You must be a troll. How can a Jewish mother say that a car seat is not a good investment? It can literally save a life. How can that not be worth it???

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
You must be a troll. How can a Jewish mother say that a car seat is not a good investment? It can literally save a life. How can that not be worth it???

What? How did you understand from that post that a car seat isn't a good investment? I said that an expensive carriage is a good investment, but a car seat, it doesn't matter if it's $100 or $500, both are good and safe.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:41 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What? How did you understand from that post that a car seat isn't a good investment? I said that an expensive carriage is a good investment, but a car seat, it doesn't matter if it's $100 or $500, both are good and safe.

That was not clear. Your post sounded like only a stroller was worth the investment. My apologies

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:06 pm
FWIW
I do a lot of in and out of the car shopping and errands so I use my doona for that. My doona also happens to be second hand from a relative who used it for their youngest kid.
If I’m planning on being out of the car for more than a few minutes, I generally bring my regular stroller along as well.
I like the doonas convenience, but do feel it’s not great for a kid to be squished into a car seat for extended amounts of time. I know lots of ppl who used the doona for as long as their kid needed an infant seat in the car. I think this is especially the case in places like lkwd or monsey where the setup of the city is made for driving and not walking.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:46 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Everyone I know who got a bugaboo got one for the quality. Most people I know got theirs second hand.

This is me! Quality/function-wanted a single to double stroller that pushes well. Definitely got it second hand 😉

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:58 pm
I got my bugaboo second hand for cheap.
Didn’t love it for a few reasons.
And it broke. If you look online there are lots of discussion bec the handle is so long there are hub inside that crack. I called bugaboo and there was nothing to do so it went in the garbage. I was surprised. They told me on the phone it isn’t meant to last so long. I had the manufacturing date and it wasn’t that old.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 7:11 pm
Any expensive stroller, Doona , bugaboo etc. is still cheaper than your car. Many women dont have cars, dont drive, and do all their errands by foot, while taking care of their "ton" of kids. You begrudge them a premium stroller that makes their many errands easier. Gracos are heavy, Maclaren is hard to push in the snow. sheesh.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 7:30 pm
A Doona is not a good stroller, and it is not judgmental to point out that it's a waste of money as a stroller. It is still technically a stroller, though.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:07 pm
I have a doona and its the best thing.
The push is not great and there is no basket and its heavy but its a lifesaver when Im in and out of the car. If I lived somewhere where I didnt own a car or I walked a lot, then the doona is not worth it.
I am literally in and out of the car all the time.
If I go to the grocery the wagon comes with me to the car to load the bags in. If I just picked up one or 2 things and Im still walking, or im going on a walk and Im taking a bag with me then I hang it on the diaper bag that has a hook.
I have a stroller for my toddler and Im so much in and out of the car that I never even bought a double.

The doona is not meant as a stroller mainly. Its a car seat that turns into a stroller for that quick in and out of the car and thats what I use it for.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Any expensive stroller, Doona , bugaboo etc. is still cheaper than your car. Many women dont have cars, dont drive, and do all their errands by foot, while taking care of their "ton" of kids. You begrudge them a premium stroller that makes their many errands easier. Gracos are heavy, Maclaren is hard to push in the snow. sheesh.

I don't begrudge expensive strollers when they make sense. I do take issue with something being bought just because everyone else is.
If you are doing all your errands by foot please invest wisely in a stroller. A basketless no multi position wheeled contraption that won't last your baby until he or she is ready to walk on errands just isn't a good use of money.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics