Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
EpiPen anxiety

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 3:50 pm
I have so much anxiety around my son's allergies.

I have an EpiPen and I know the rule that the EpiPen can't hurt and every second counts, and better err on the side of caution.

And yet. When it's in the moment, I am unsure what to do.

Just before, I was in my room, and someone came to tell me that the baby was drinking some milk from a cup that was left around. I quickly ran to him and tried to see if he was in distress. Within a minute, he vomited.

I called the doctor but it took a long time to speak to someone.

His eyes are a bit more puffy than usual, and he is scratching his eczema areas. But doesn't seem to have any swelling and bH no drooling or trouble breathing. He is walking around as if nothing happened.

So how do you know when you are supposed to give the epipen?? How long am I supposed to observe him for now??

Baby is 17 months.

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 3:58 pm
If you are unsure or afraid give him liquid benadryl right away.
Do you have any in the house?
In my experience it works almost as well as epipen. It's just not recommended by doctors in case there is possibility of throat swelling the baby may not swallow it easily. or if he would vomit after drinking it it wouldnt work.
The one I have in USA says it has 12.5 mg per 5 ML (1 teaspoon) but for a 17 month old thats probably too much. I would guess half a teaspoon (measured with a medicine spoon). But I am no medical provider.
It says on the bottle to give 6 year olds and up 1 teaspoon.
Also maybe bring him to the pediatrician to make sure his lungs sound clear. Allergic reaction can cause wheezing and many times it needs to be treated even if its not bad enough to sound obviously as wheezing.

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:01 pm
One more thing.
As far as I know Epipen has a limited temporary effect and is meant to instantly treat allergy to allow time to bring the patient to the hospital or at least the doctor.
Often steroids by mouth or IV are given after to treat the issue for the next few days.
Not sure why, perhaps there is a risk of a second reaction very soon after the first?
Refuah Shleima.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:08 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
One more thing.
As far as I know Epipen has a limited temporary effect and is meant to instantly treat allergy to allow time to bring the patient to the hospital or at least the doctor.
Often steroids by mouth or IV are given after to treat the issue for the next few days.
Not sure why, perhaps there is a risk of a second reaction very soon after the first?
Refuah Shleima.

This child has been injected with the EpiPen twice already.

Both times they gave him more steroids in the hospital.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:55 pm
Epipen wears off and steroids are usually needed. Epipen is prescribed for someone who gets anaphylaxis reaction. Your dr should be more specific when u need to use it

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:06 pm
'give first, ask after'

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:07 pm
bnm wrote:
'give first, ask after'

This.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:00 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
If you are unsure or afraid give him liquid benadryl right away.
Do you have any in the house?
In my experience it works almost as well as epipen. It's just not recommended by doctors in case there is possibility of throat swelling the baby may not swallow it easily. or if he would vomit after drinking it it wouldnt work.

Benadryl is a good first choice for a mild to moderate reaction. Please understand that in the case of a severe reaction, Benadryl is not going to be enough. EpiPen is much stronger medication that works directly on the heart, lungs, etc to counteract the real life threatening effects.
It’s not just about concerns about swallowing or vomiting.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:01 pm
Agree with Nanny, ask doctor about Benadryl. The epipen is meant for an emergency situation when minutes count.

The guideline I was given by dc's allergist is that the epipen is for when at least two bodily systems appear to be affected. For instance, you see both swelling and hives. Or obv if the throat is constricting.

I'm surprised that you found it hard to get through to your doctor. For an allergist, that's not good, would you consider switching doctors?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:02 pm
As a nurse and an allergy mom you need to give epipen. The alternative to not giving is possible death. There is no con to giving it at the wrong time. If you know your child ate a good they are allergic to you need to give epi immediately even if you observe no symptoms.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:04 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Benadryl is a good first choice for a mild to moderate reaction. Please understand that in the case of a severe reaction, Benadryl is not going to be enough. EpiPen is much stronger medication that works directly on the heart, lungs, etc to counteract the real life threatening effects.
It’s not just about concerns about swallowing or vomiting.

For this reason, you don't want to give the epipen lightly. It does have side effects, which of course we don't worry about in life or death situations, but it's not something to over-use. And you always need to take dc right to the hospital or call hatzolah whenever administering it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:06 pm
bnm wrote:
'give first, ask after'

Sorry. This is exactly my problem.
I want to be responsible.
But giving an EpiPen means a trip to the ER by ambulance and spending the night in the hospital.
So I dont want to give it just on the slightest chashash.
I need clearer guidelines.
I've asked my doctor..but in the moment I still dont know... Sad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
As a nurse and an allergy mom you need to give epipen. The alternative to not giving is possible death. There is no con to giving it at the wrong time. If you know your child ate a good they are allergic to you need to give epi immediately even if you observe no symptoms.

The allergen was ingested over 3 hours ago. I did see a mild reaction. (He vomited and then a bit of itching.) Now he is in bed. Do I need to worry still?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry. This is exactly my problem.
I want to be responsible.
But giving an EpiPen means a trip to the ER by ambulance and spending the night in the hospital.
So I dont want to give it just on the slightest chashash.
I need clearer guidelines.
I've asked my doctor..but in the moment I still dont know... Sad

Two bodily systems affected, or seeing two different types of reactions, was clear guidelines, but my kids' situation might be different than yours. Sounds like you need a doctor who can explain things better.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:17 pm
You need to get a written anaphylaxis action plan from your allergist. Benadryl can mask the symptoms of a more serious reaction, delaying important time when epi should have been given. You need instructions from your allergist on how and when to use.

Epinephrine is synthetic adrenaline. For people without a very specific and uncommon type of heart issue, it is not a problem—so most people there are no concerns with the use of epi.

Epinephrine is *the only* medication that can reverse an allergic reaction. It is a miracle, BH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics