Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby stops breathing and turns blue when crying

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:59 pm
Just spent the night in the emergency room,
For the second time, my almost one year old turned blue, went limp and stopped breathing when crying. She was fine a minute later. Doctors did xray, ekg, echo, labs, all were normal. They said to follow up with the pediatrician tomorrow. I'm very worried, has any had experience with this before? Thank you

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:00 pm
So scary refuah shelaimah!

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:02 pm
My (then)baby used to do that all the time. Usually "woke up" after a few seconds. It's very common and not dangerous ar all.
Next time your baby screams just hold him he'll be back to himself in a few minutes.
He outgrew it before his 2nd birthday.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:04 pm
https://www.webmd.com/children.....lding

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:10 pm
My sibling did this as a baby too. They are happy and healthy many years later.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:27 pm
Sounds like a breath holder. Gently blow on their face and they come-to very quickly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:39 pm
She went limp and stopped responding, I was so scared, the doctor said that's it's not normal though and she may need to follow up with a cardiologist, ent, or neurologist

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:18 am
DD did that regularly. Still occasionally till she was seven. Some kids are breath holders. Eventually they need to breathe again.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:47 am
My dd was 15 mo ish when she did this. Got really upset and cried so hard she couldn’t breathe. Called Hatzalah and by the time they arrived like 2 min later she was up and alert. Was very scary at the time but doc said was totally normal.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:52 am
A bunch of my kids did (do) this. Usually starts when they're not yet a year old and continues until they're around 5 or 6. One of my kids it happens if they cry a lot, another if they cry a lot and are having a very emotional outburst. It's not on purpose, but it is breath-holding, and once they pass out, they come around again in a minute or two and are fine, if a little weak or shaky. Don't panic, lots of cuddles and reassurance. I'm sure it's kind of scary for them too.

GiGichai

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:20 am
One kid did this and he had apnea caused by severe reflux. On reflux meds it stopped.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 5:31 am
My daughter used to do that for minutes at a time. It was very scary but they never found anything wrong

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:12 am
My son did this as a baby too. Would scream his head off without breathing, turn blie, eyes roll back and body go limp.
It was terrifying.
But he would start breathing and wake up on his own a few seconds after passing out, and the doc said it was fine.
OP does your baby wake up within a few seconds of passing out?

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 7:07 am
Next time try blowing in her face when she holds her breath. If that doesn't happen, turn her upside down, the change in air pattern forces them to take a breath. My kids did this every so often and this worked.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 7:22 am
Two of my kids did this as infants. Our pediatrician said when they start holding their breath, immediately lay them flat on their back (minimizes chance of damage if they pass out) and blow air in their face suddenly (to hopefully startle them into breathing). BH neither child ever passed out. I’m fortunate that the first time the breath holding ever happened was at a doctor’s appointment. The doctor immediately grabbed the baby and laid him flat and blew in his face, so I got a live demonstration. He explained his actions after baby was breathing again. It worked for me every time after that too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics