Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Taxi to Mikvah!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:38 am
I was at the mikvah this week and arrived to a male taxi driver waiting at the entrance to pickup a women needing a ride.
I get that there are many chassidish women in out town that dont drive but please explain to me how this is safe and more tznius than driving????!!!
I know that many husbands cannot drive their wives as they may be home babysitting but a taxi at night?? im seriously concerned for these women.
Why cant the same Rebbe that banned driving also explain to these women how theyre meant to get around at night???? Why dont these women put their foot down and say something?? Are they not bothered?
I also felt very uncomfortable going into the building with this driver sitting there.
Please anyone have ideas for these women?
Maybe the rebbe not allowing them to drive should arrange a jewish women to drive them, something needs to be done. Its not safe nor any more tznius than driving.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:44 am
A few months ago I had an injury that made me unable to drive and needed to go to the Mikvah. It made me wonder what all the Hasidish women here do. Do they get a babysitter and their husband drives them and sits outside? Take a taxi? IDK.

Definitely is a conundrum but I also wouldn't feel comfortable taking a ride with a woman.
I don't want anyone to know when I'm going, it's private!

If I went and there was a male taxi driver waiting outside I would also feel awkward but there are more inconspicuous places he could've parked, so that's another option.

Sweet Sour

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:45 am
Your 1000% right.

Chassidish here.

The mikvah that I go to has a very clear sign in all the rooms with numbers of female cab drivers.
And the psak from rabbonim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:56 am
Sweet Sour wrote:
Your 1000% right.

Chassidish here.

The mikvah that I go to has a very clear sign in all the rooms with numbers of female cab drivers.
And the psak from rabbonim.

Okay glad to hear this, I hope they have such an arrangement in lakewood as many chassidim are coming in now and seems to be an issue with transportation

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:37 pm
Not totally relevant to mikva but this bothers me a whole lot more than taxi drivers

Where were the male security...

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:06 pm
The main mikvah in Monsey doesn’t allow men to wait in the front. They have a place for cars to wait by the side of the building, and a females guard directing the cars.

Your Mikva needs to get their act together. This shouldn’t not be allowed (I am
Not chassidish or super religious)

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:18 pm
Slightly off topic ... I remember my aunt didn't drive and my uncle used to drive her. Even on nights that I slept over. They'd pack all of us kids in the car and we would all wait until she came out.

I even remember her saying that she went in the water.

We had no clue what it all meant. But we knew it was something that needed to be done from time to time.

Just a month ago I was talking to my cousins about this. And they said they remember the monthly trip/wait outside to mikvah. And they also had no clues what it actually meant. But looking back they're so grateful to know that their parents kept this mitzvah. It wasn't a given considering they only started to keep shabbos only after a few kids were born.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:21 pm
It answers your question of what they do with their kids. We obviously aren't chasidish. But yes some families just pack the kids in the car and go.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:26 pm
For the record, some people can’t drive for medical reasons and some have a phobia of driving. It’s not only chassidish women who can’t drive. I understand that it bothers you to see a male driver in the Mikva parking lot but it isn’t always feasible for a husband to do pick-ups I like the idea of posting a list of female cabdrivers.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:29 pm
The Madison Ave mikvah has room for women to wait and sign that rides shouldn’t wait in parking lot but side st.
I think New Hampshire is more complicated. There is no place for a driver to wait out the parking lot. It wills be way more dangerous for a lady to walk to the main rd at night. It’s deserted.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:47 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
The Madison Ave mikvah has room for women to wait and sign that rides shouldn’t wait in parking lot but side st.
I think New Hampshire is more complicated. There is no place for a driver to wait out the parking lot. It wills be way more dangerous for a lady to walk to the main rd at night. It’s deserted.

Yes this was at new hampshire and it is pretty deserted and certainly not safe to walk, I do see men waiting in a boys cheder parking lot next door. I dont see why it should be uncomfortable for a women driver who does this as a nightly job, its not any more uncomfortable then the mikvah lady that sees you naked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries