Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Wine Country

MRS.Mentsch

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 1:50 pm
My DH and I have never been to the wine country. Our anniversary is in less than a month and I'd love to surprise him with a romantic trip. If you've been there please tell me whether you had a good time, where or where not to stay. that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance ladies.

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 1:54 pm
wine country=like napa?
If so, we went there, but we stayed in san Francisco (I had a conference for work, and then we stayed for 3 more days just for fun). It is romantic and pretty but
a) freezing in the winter
b) quite frankly, even though it was less romantic, I enjoyed visiting the wineries in the golan much more, because what fun is it to go to a winery and not get to taste all the wines? neither of us are big drinkers at all, but it was more boring, they had all these wine, nuts, pretzels and gourmet cheeses that you couldnt eat (well actually the pretzels were fine)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:01 pm
it sounds like a half vcation to me, if you can't enjoy the wine !

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:04 pm
france?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 2:19 pm
Well, I sort of agree about not being able to taste the wine, but there is so much to see in that part (or close) of california. Taking a drive down from San Francisco- as far as you want is amazing! I highly reccomend Monterey- beach, aquarium, lots more. There is a kosher winery further south in oxnard- herzog, there is a restuarant, you can do wine tasting.
http://www.herzogwinecellars.com/

Also on the way is Hearst Castle- amazing!

What exactly were you looking foreward to doing?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 10:35 am
Napa does have a kosher winery, Hagafen, you can pack a picnic and eat there. It is beautiful, it's where I grew up (Sonoma County)

To the previous amother, Herzog winery is a significant distance from the bay area by at least 5 hours.

It's not freezing in the winter, in fact it never snows, it can just be rainy. Personally, I think Sonoma County is more beautiful than Napa, except that Napa has a great kosher winery. In Sonoma County you can drive out to the coast, they have lots of cute bed and breakfasts that are prob much cheaper than Napa.

As for food, there are no kosher restaurants north of SF but there is a Chabad in Sonoma County (in Santa Rosa) and one in Napa, so you could coordinate meals with them. If you jsut want a picnic, you could go into any market really and buy stuff to make sandwiches.

Let me know if you want any more info, DH and I still go up there often to see my parents, so I can help out with things to do (like Safari West, it's awesome) as well as names and numbers of people if needed.

MRS.Mentsch

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:08 pm
Hi,

Thanks ladies for the suggestions I really appreciate it! I couldn't find where I posted this, so it took me a while to check back embarrassed sorry!

Yeah, I heard there were a couple kosher wineries in California, and we live way out of town so it isn't a far drive from where we are, but I wasn't sure where the kosher wineries were, if there were B&Bs attached or a hotel or something. I figured we would take a weekend and picnic for breakfast and lunch and maybe drive to a kosher place for dinner (is this realistic??)

But, I grew up back east, think way in town Smile so I don't know California (or its geography) very well at all!

Thanks again for helping!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics