Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Masks work

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:07 pm
I didnt want to derail the other thread so writing it here.

I don't know why most people here insist that masks don't work. They absolutely do work, BUT only if you wear them properly. Not under the nose, not on the chin, not if you pull it off every few minutes and not if you wear the same one for a week.....

And I'm talking about paper masks. I don't know why people keep harping about special masks. I spend a lot of time in hospitals and all the doctors, nurses, surgeons. And other medical personnel are wearing the plain blue paper masks I wear. And its working. These are all people working directly with covid patients and they never got covid.

The ones who did get covid, were the ones generally not so careful. There are always some people who are not so vigilant with hand washing and purelling. Same with the masks.

Are they foolproof? No. Do they always work? No. BUT, for those who wear them properly and diligently, it works very well.

Sorry, folks. You'll need a better excuse for not masking

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didnt want to derail the other thread so writing it here.

I don't know why most people here insist that masks don't work. They absolutely do work, BUT only if you wear them properly. Not under the nose, not on the chin, not if you pull it off every few minutes and not if you wear the same one for a week.....

And I'm talking about paper masks. I don't know why people keep harping about special masks. I spend a lot of time in hospitals and all the doctors, nurses, surgeons. And other medical personnel are wearing the plain blue paper masks I wear. And its working. These are all people working directly with covid patients and they never got covid.

The ones who did get covid, were the ones generally not so careful. There are always some people who are not so vigilant with hand washing and purelling. Same with the masks.

Are they foolproof? No. Do they always work? No. BUT, for those who wear them properly and diligently, it works very well.

Sorry, folks. You'll need a better excuse for not masking

Do you have statistics or links with proof to back up that claim?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:19 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Do you have statistics or links with proof to back up that claim?

Here’s a good summary with links to studies that back up claims. Masks significantly reduce spread but do not eliminate it all together, and masks work better than others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

There’s a lot of confusion on this site about the difference between things “not working” and not working perfectly 100%. Real life is not so black and white.

small bean

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:23 pm
So wear a mask all the time. No one cares if you do.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:24 pm
A few points:

What about cloth masks? Do those work? Cloth masks were strongly encouraged. Is there really evidence that wearing a shmatta over your face prevents the spread of disease?

And what about masking kids? No, kids can not be expected to keep a mask on perfectly a whole day, and never adjust or touch it. What about the schools that gave our necklaces or pouches for the students to keep their masks? I'm sure those were loaded with germs. Is that the way masks were meant to be used?

I agree that medical masks work when used properly- no touching, no adjusting, throwing it out after each use, not sticking it in your pocket/ purse, not wearing it on a necklace, not putting it on your desk when you eat lunch and putting it back on after etc etc. Medical professionals in hospitals do all of the above and there's no question that their masks work. Your surgeon isnt wearing a bandanna or hanging his mask on a necklace. But I just don't think it's reasonable to expect people going about their daily routine to keep up with that and use PPE exactly as its supposed to.

As far as your statement that the people who caught covid are the ones who werent careful- do you have a source for that? I know plenty of people who literally hibernated, did not come in contact wit people at all, sanitized their groceries- and still caught covid.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:24 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Here’s a good summary with links to studies that back up claims. Masks significantly reduce spread but do not eliminate it all together, and masks work better than others.

There’s a lot of confusion on this site about the difference between things “not working” and not working perfectly 100%. Real life is not so black and white.

and thats why I choose not to wear one

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
and thats why I choose not to wear one

Do you also think it’s acceptable to drive drunk? Sober driving reduces the likelihood that you’ll get in a crash but it by no means eliminates it. Many people who drive perfectly sober and alert still die in car crashes.

It’s important for everyone to do their part to keep everyone as safe as possible, even if we can’t prevent 100% of bad outcomes.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:47 pm
challahchallah wrote:

That wasn’t my question, but thanks. OP claimed that those who died were people who weren’t careful. I want to know if she has proof of that.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:49 pm
[comment removed. I’m sure you could have come up with a nicer way to say that - mod].

SwissAlps

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:55 pm
Quick question(s)
How many threads do we need convincing people about this? Those that believe it works will wear it, and those that don't, won't. These threads will not change anything.

Also, something that I always wondered about... Why is it so terrible to touch the outside of the mask? Why are germs more likely to be attracted there than on your clothes for example?

nchr

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:56 pm
Even if masks work, people who can't spread the virus shouldn't be shamed for not wearing one. If you're in Walmart, fine, but if Jewish communities in areas with low to no transmission choose not to, just let us be.

I do believe masks work for the record but I don't wear them unless forced to. The public messages in our country are really poor and not even science based.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:21 pm
And here's some other research explaining the problems with the studies purporting to show that masks work and why they don't, or on the limited situations in which they might.

https://americasfrontlinedocto.....asks/
https://theredelephants.com/al.....d-19/
https://www.technocracy.news/m.....ence/

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:14 pm
If masks work so well, then why did all 50 states have about the same pattern of rises and spikes in infection (with some notable exceptions such as the Dakotas and the Mid-Atlantic states in March) whether or not there was a mask mandate (and most people were wearing them anyway)?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 7:04 pm
Did we teleport back to June of 2020? What is the point of this thread?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 7:06 pm
I’m wondering if the OP is even going to come back…..

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 7:40 pm
& my daughter was exposed to classmate Right near her and did NOT catch it... With no mask... You dont always catch when exposed....

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 7:59 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
& my daughter was exposed to classmate Right near her and did NOT catch it... With no mask... You dont always catch when exposed....

Our entire family had some version of it, except for my daughter who sleeps in my bed, and continued to do so even when I was sick.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:10 pm
SwissAlps wrote:
Quick question(s)
How many threads do we need convincing people about this? Those that believe it works will wear it, and those that don't, won't. These threads will not change anything.

Also, something that I always wondered about... Why is it so terrible to touch the outside of the mask? Why are germs more likely to be attracted there than on your clothes for example?

As I understand it's because air is being pulled through the mask constantly - so the droplets will concentrate more there than on your clothes.

Same reason your ac filter gets dirty, but not the walls - the air is pulled through that space, and therefore the dirt concentrates on the filter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics