Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Trend of Replacing everything in your new house...
1  2  3  4  5  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:32 am
Recently I’ve seen a certain acceptable trend in my circles, and it really gets me...
When someone buys/ builds themselves a new house ( which I’m sure is maxing out most people financially) the trend is to basically not take along any of your existing furniture, bedding etc.
Some even replace pots, dishes etc.

It’s become almost the expected norm.
I understand wanting to replace your items, but why not wait a bit- recoup some funding and then replace at your leisure.

It used to be that anyone buying a house would be okay with furnishing the minimum, or using their old stuff......

Someone mentioned that she’s not taking along any of her kids old games since the boxes don’t look good anymore....

Window

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:34 am
So they’re stupid and you’re smart

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:36 am
I guess it depends what circles you are in, your financial level and maybe age/stage of life. When we moved from an apartment to our first house, with two little kids, we took everything with us unless it was not useable in the new space.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:38 am
Is that a thing? When we moved to our new home (new to us, not built for us), we literally brought everything down to half full salad dressing and boxes of cereal.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:45 am
watergirl wrote:
Is that a thing? When we moved to our new home (new to us, not built for us), we literally brought everything down to half full salad dressing and boxes of cereal.

And that’s how it should be!
Someone moving to a new apt (due to non payment) just told me she won’t be taking any of her “brown” furniture into her new home...

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:45 am
What do they do with all the old stuff? I hope they find people to give it to and don't just throw it out.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:49 am
Now I understand why Yad Sheini is always posting good furniture.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:49 am
My husband works in demolition. This happens all the time. Lots of it gets thrown out. He salvages what he can (quality furniture, perfectly working kitchen appliances) but he doesn’t have the manpower to start sifting though everything.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:52 am
People do not value practical today. Everything is disposable. I feel bad when parents buy expensive furniture for new couples.
No one wants their stuff to last that long these days.
Trend is rather cheaper and redecorate every few years.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pamela

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 11:56 am
Why don’t you do your thing and let other people do their thing? Classic case of MYOB.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:01 pm
I can't understand this mentality either. My cousin borrowed their entire down payment and doesn't stop complaining how poor she is yet when they moved into their new home, they did custom beds and furniture for all bedrooms and posted the (7 years) old furniture on yad sheniya. It's become a fad to buy everything new when moving.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:08 pm
We moved recently. We gave away a few different pieces of furniture that we didn't need in the new house. Some of the bedrooms have fitted wardrobes so I didn't need all the ones we had already, the same for the bookcases.
And tbh the difficulty of moving the wardrobes we did-had to have them taken apart and rebuilt in the new house as the stairs were too tight to get them round. They shlepped it fully built from the old house and ended up not being able to take it all the way up the stairs in the new house and dismantled it there after scratching the paintwork and damaging a corner of the wardrobe. I was so frustrated at the end of it all, it was almost not worth it.
Also sometimes spacewise things don't fit. Like one of the bedrooms the roof slopes and the ceiling is much lower so the wardrobe wouldn't fit and I needed something else.
I don't get the attitude of new house, can't take the old things, but I did find sometimes you do end up not needing/not being suitable for the new house.

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:15 pm
1. It depends on the new place and lay out. Maybe old furniture won't fit a new room to serve the intended purpose. Maybe old items are more expnesive to transport than to replace.

2. If people are already getting money from the bank with a good (low) interest rate, they can use this chance to buy big ticket items cheaper (cheaper in the long run). Makes sense financially

3. People might have hated these items all along and waited for moving into a new house to get everything new. Also.: New technically superior appliances appear every year. So they waited to upgrade.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:18 pm
imaima wrote:

2. If people are already getting money from the bank with a good (low) interest rate, they can use this chance to buy big ticket items cheaper (cheaper in the long run). Makes sense financially

This reasoning doesn't make any sense.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
We moved recently. We gave away a few different pieces of furniture that we didn't need in the new house. Some of the bedrooms have fitted wardrobes so I didn't need all the ones we had already, the same for the bookcases.
And tbh the difficulty of moving the wardrobes we did-had to have them taken apart and rebuilt in the new house as the stairs were too tight to get them round. They shlepped it fully built from the old house and ended up not being able to take it all the way up the stairs in the new house and dismantled it there after scratching the paintwork and damaging a corner of the wardrobe. I was so frustrated at the end of it all, it was almost not worth it.
Also sometimes spacewise things don't fit. Like one of the bedrooms the roof slopes and the ceiling is much lower so the wardrobe wouldn't fit and I needed something else.
I don't get the attitude of new house, can't take the old things, but I did find sometimes you do end up not needing/not being suitable for the new house.

All the more reason to stop this meshugas of buying expensive furniture for chosson /kallah.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:24 pm
To each their own. If replacing everything and buying all new for a new house makes you happy and you have the moolah to do so, gezunteh heit. Hopefully you pass your gently-used old stuff along to someone who needs it.

If you DON'T have the means and you're borrowing money that you haven't a prayer of repaying, well..."fiscally irresponsible" is the printable version of what I think of you.

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
This reasoning doesn't make any sense.

EG:
A new wardrobe costs now 500 and when you pay it up, incl. interest in 5 yrs it will be 600.

Saving for a new wardrobe may take you 5 yrs but by then it may already cost 650. So you end up paying less by borrowing from the bank. Plus the benefit of having the newer wardrobe that is better suited to the room for these 5 years.

You have to weigh in interest rate vs inflation and non-financial factors (quality of life, aesthetic pleasure etc.)

Last edited by imaima on Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:27 pm
We are moving next month. We're taking 90% of our current stuff but also buying some new things. For one, the new house has an extra bedroom, so we're buying some new beds for that room (though all existing beds are coming with us). We have a set of dressers that's coming to the end of its natural lifespan. Maybe we'd replace in a year at most if we weren't moving, since we are moving, instead of schlepping the old set, we're just replacing it now. We also have a seforim shrank that is shabby but still usable, but difficult to move. We decided to buy a new one, and we sold the current one to the tenants who are moving into our current home, so we will leave it for them. And we bought some additional shelving units, because again, new house is bigger so we have the space for additional pieces. But all of our current shelves, except the big shrank, are coming with us too.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:31 pm
I’m one of the people who replaced almost all furniture and appliances when moving. I tried selling some old stuff second hand and donated the rest.
By the time we moved, our furniture and appliances were in used and quite abused shape and we felt that replacing them is part of the expenses of buying the house. It’s probably not something we would be willing to spend on a few years down the line just out of the blue! There’s something about doing it when you move! To us it made sense. Hope you don’t mind! Hi

On the same note, I hope you don’t keep track of any of my other expenses in life. 🤷‍♀️

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I’m one of the people who replaced almost all furniture and appliances when moving. I tried selling some old stuff second hand and donated the rest.
By the time we moved, our furniture and appliances were in used and quite abused shape and we felt that replacing them is part of the expenses of buying the house. It’s probably not something we would be willing to spend on a few years down the line just out of the blue! There’s something about doing it when you move! To us it made sense. Hope you don’t mind! Hi

On the same note, I hope you don’t keep track of any of my other expenses in life. 🤷‍♀️

You sound like you have a Bugaboo, oh horror!!!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics