Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Seit or no seit UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:01 pm
My son is 4 years old and in nursery . He came home with a note saying that a professional came to observe the class as a whole and then evaluated each child separately.
She wrote on my child that he's showing interest but in order for him to continue further she recommends he gets siet to help him concentrate and learn faster .
I was quite shocked because he's not my first child and I have a diff child that has therapy and siet so I know the difference when a kid needs it or doesn't need .
This kid is smart keh knows everything he learns tells us the parsha songs stories. Knows his colors .
I did leave a message for her to call me back to discuss it but meanwhile want to hear from other mothers what they would do ?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:06 pm
I would do the evaluation

My son's school thought he needed a seit when he was in nursery. I personally didn't think he needed it, but I had no problem going ahead with an evaluation. It doesn't cost anything and there's no harm. Turns out he was not eligible for seit, so that was that

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I would do the evaluation

My son's school thought he needed a seit when he was in nursery. I personally didn't think he needed it, but I had no problem going ahead with an evaluation. It doesn't cost anything and there's no harm. Turns out he was not eligible for seit, so that was that

Thank you

precious

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:26 pm
Did he just turn 4? Otherwise by the time you do the eval and get approved you won't have much time till he ages out at 5. I would do the eval though, because why not.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:32 pm
As a teacher and seit I wld say go for it! The child never losses out by having the extra help!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:39 pm
As a preschool teacher I say go for the evaluation -you have absolutely nothing to lose! (I also have a daughter this age who gets services)

Sometimes the child struggles with certain things in school that you wouldn’t necessarily see at home

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:13 pm
precious wrote:
Did he just turn 4? Otherwise by the time you do the eval and get approved you won't have much time till he ages out at 5. I would do the eval though, because why not.

Yes he was 4 end of may

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:22 pm
I know that I’m probably going to get screamed at for this.
Schools will try to get as many kids as they can needing a siet.
Its an extra pair of hands in the classroom
When ds was in pre-school his friend had a siet
And the siet had ds and another boy, a group of 3. But only the friend needed the siet.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
And the siet had ds and another boy, a group of 3. But only the friend needed the siet.

That may be true, but it still didn't bother me to have my child evaluated.

As much as the school wants it, the child will only get it if standardized test results indicate that he needs it. It's not like it's a subjective decision on the school's part to have a seit. The child has to objectively score below the norms in order to receive the service, which means there are obviously areas of weakness that can be remediated with a seit.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:

A child will not be approved for seit unless the evaluation results show that he or she is eligible ... so the school can try to get seit for every kid in the class but they’re not getting help unless the kid needs it.

That being said - I’d much rather teach in a room full of independent kids than a room full of adults ... so I don’t refer my students for seit eval unless I feel there’s a need for it.

Can’t speak for everyone I guess

Just_be_happy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:04 pm
Can you share more details about the issues the professional saw?

Do the issues that she shared make sense to you or do you feel that he is doing alright in those areas?

Many schools believe that 'It can't hurt'; I disagree.... When its necessary, go for it! But if not, stay away!

Last edited by Just_be_happy on Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

helpful

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:25 pm
I am a SETSS provider (similar to seit, but for children 5+) and SEIT/ SETSS coach. From my experience in the field (worked in 5 schools and coached therapists from additional schools) I've noticed that unfortunately schools often push services onto some children who don't need it, due to kickbacks, need for extra help, etc.
SEIT is great for children who need extra help. Many students gain tremendously from it, however, a child who does not need it often loses out. For instance, they miss out on fun activities, get pulled out and miss important classwork, become less independent, etc.
If your child needs it, go for it. but if you feel he doesn't need it, skip it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:55 pm
Just_be_happy wrote:
Part time preschool teacher and part time SEIT here.

Can you share more details about the issues the professional saw?

Do the issues that she shared make sense to you or do you feel that he is doing alright in those areas?

Many schools believe that 'It can't hurt'; I disagree.... When its necessary, go for it! But if not, stay away!

I will share as soon as I speak to the professional.he brought home a note today and I left her a msg

As a side note I am very familiar with therapy and seit. I have a 9 year old son in kitah daled( that repeated nursery because he was like a year younger than his age) and he is still has a seit ( outside of the classroom )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:57 pm
helpful wrote:
I am a SETSS provider (similar to seit, but for children 5+) and SEIT/ SETSS coach. From my experience in the field (worked in 5 schools and coached therapists from additional schools) I've noticed that unfortunately schools often push services onto some children who don't need it, due to kickbacks, need for extra help, etc.
SEIT is great for children who need extra help. Many students gain tremendously from it, however, a child who does not need it often loses out. For instance, they miss out on fun activities, get pulled out and miss important classwork, become less independent, etc.

That's what I'm thinking . In 2021 every kid gets therapy . I would probably have therapy too had I been born in this generation

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:08 pm
I strongly disagree with why not get your kid services for fun. Being singled out and being pulled from class activities affects children socially and developmentally. If they need the help then it's the best thing for them. But if they don't then they are losing out in other areas for no reason. I also had issues with other places judging the services and refusing to treat my child as a non problem child, like camp, after school clubs etc... if your kid doesn't really need it, don't do the evaluation or get services.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:32 pm
I spoke to the person that has seen him . She told me she was surprised to hear that the cheder recommended seit . She said there is nothing wrong with him bh. His cognitive skills are great . She said one on one she had to redirect him few times but he came right back .
She said also as a mother I know best . They come again in kindergarten and see then how the kids are doing once they really start learning aleph bais.
Thank you all for the replies and I'm leaving it alone

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:36 pm
Another thing she said that even if I do have him evaluated he probably won't be approved bh!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:23 am
Bump

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:27 am
My kids school pushes therapy (ot, pt, speech) and siet wherever they can. Over the years I realized that they don’t always have the child’s best interest in mind.
I used to do whatever they told me to do. These days I put my foot down where I feel like the child doesn’t need it.
By the way, they have ways of making sure the child fails the eval.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:29 am
helpful wrote:

As an educator for many years I’ll say that the biggest issue with you stating for her to skip it if ‘she’ doesn’t think he needs it is that a child needs a different skillset to function in the school environment which a parent might not necessarily observe at home. Therefor SA parent is not necessarily a good judge in determining if a child is missing skills or not. I’ll echo what others said. There is absolutely no harm in getting the child evaluated and the evaluations will determine eligibility.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers