Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Philly,Lancaster,Pittsburgh,Poconos Vacation Spot-pls advise

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:45 am
I'm looking to travel to PA for a two day family getaway. Thinking about Pennsylvania as there are so many attractions there.
Can anyone enlighten me in the differences between the various Cities/ popular spots in PA? Where would you recommend staying?
I'd love to stay in an area that's most scenic/ closest to kosher food and attractions between the rest.

Thank you!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:48 am
FYI Pittsburgh is nowhere near philly or Lancaster. And it’s too far a drive for a 2 day trip if you’re coming from the tristafe area

What ages are your children and what rare you interested in?

IMO Lancaster and the accompanying Bh attractions are only good for very young children (under 8 or 10)

Philly has a larger range or attractions given it’s a big city

What sort of activities do you like to do?

There’s no kosher food as far as I know in Lancaster. Philly has a Jewish community so has several restaurants

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:25 am
My kids are ages 7-12.

PHilly sounds like the go-to place according to your post in terms of convenience, but isn't PHilly a typical City, meaning not a vacation spot? ( Note: I am clueless)

I am traveling from Brooklyn.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:30 am
Pittsburgh is 6 hours drive west from those other cities.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:37 am
Instead of Lancaster, would you consider the Hershey/Harrisburg area? I think that it ups the age level in terms of things to do. If you have a couple of days, I would suggest Hershey Park, the Whittaker Science Museum, and Lake Tobias Safari Ride - all very appropriate for over 10 yrs old. If your older ones are girls or like flowers, the Hershey Gardens are very pretty and can be a nice change from the running around. There is also a beautiful mini golf on City Island, very scenic for something a little more low-key as well. Note that I have no idea if any of these are open or what the COVID restrictions might be.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:54 am
Pittsburgh is 2 hours away from Cleveland geography wise if that helps. It’s on the other end of the state.

If you’ve never been to Philly I think it’s worth the trip. Save Pittsburgh for when you’ve run out of closer attractions.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids are ages 7-12.

PHilly sounds like the go-to place according to your post in terms of convenience, but isn't PHilly a typical City, meaning not a vacation spot? ( Note: I am clueless)

I am traveling from Brooklyn.

Vacation place is anywhere YOU like to visit. Major cities round the world then to be top vacation destinations.

If you prefer to vacation outside the city then Philly wouldn’t be for you.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:46 pm
Philly has the liberty bell, spy museum, independence park. Franklin institute, the mint, museum of art and much more.
Kosher restaurants-definitely. Google "what to do in Philadelphia "

Poconos has plenty of attractions, but no restaurants.

scruffy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:48 pm
Pittsburgh doesn't have much going on, although it does have the frum amenities like minyanim, pizza store...

Nice science center but you can do that in any big city.

The National Aviary is very cool, wondering if Covid has changed things.

munchkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:35 pm
we enjoyed a full week at lancaster! it was beautiful! dutch wonderland, cherrry crest farm, amish wagon rides, skyzone, visiting amish random farm and picking tomatoes etc etc. enjoying silo by red caboose motel. amazing for all ages! some kosher food was sold by shul/ yeshiva

munchkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:36 pm
also enjoyed science centers in rainy weather, bought cheap science membership online and used for free there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics