Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do people afford day camp???
Previous  1  2

leah233

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:25 pm
Speak to your accountant but in 2021 (only this year) unless you have a lot of other babysitting expenses, day camp should be reimbursed by the government up to fifty percent as a part of child and dependent tax care credit.

This year up to 50% of child care expenses up to 16,000 will be reimbursed. And if you live in NYS the state will also give you back a big chunk so it won't really cost much.

As above there are plenty of rules so speak to your accountant!

piegirl

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:26 pm
leah233 wrote:
Speak to your accountant but in 2021 (only this year) unless you have a lot of other babysitting expenses, day camp should be reimbursed by the government up to fifty percent as a part of child and dependent tax care credit.

This year up to 50% of child care expenses up to 16,000 will be reimbursed. And if you live in NYS the state will also give you back a big chunk so it won't really cost much.

Is this only if both parents are working during the summer?

leah233

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:27 pm
piegirl wrote:
Is this only if both parents are working during the summer?

Both parents need to work or be students but not specifically in the summer. Any amount spent more than the income of the lower income spouse does not count

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:08 pm
leah233 wrote:

This is for the 2022 tax returns.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:54 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it was always really hard. the people that run camp are making good money, huh?

Don’t be so quick to say this. It costs A LOT of money and A LOT of prep time to run a camp. Especially if the kids are older or you need rabbeim. I charged $175 a week last year and after paying counselors, lifeguards, supplies trips etc, I came out with a little over 1k for 7 weeks of full time work!

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:59 pm
Where do you people live that daycamp costs so much??? I'm paying around $600 per summer per kid for a simple daycamp. The fancier daycamps are around $1000-$1200. $2500 per summer is insanity.

keym

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:05 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Where do you people live that daycamp costs so much??? I'm paying around $600 per summer per kid for a simple daycamp. The fancier daycamps are around $1000-$1200. $2500 per summer is insanity.

In Lakewood, preschool backyard camps are $80-$100 per week.
Girls camps are $500-$750 per half.
Boys camps also $500-$750 per half

The older you get, the more it is.
My bar mitzvah boy, I'm paying around $800 for 4 weeks (including the deposit).

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:05 pm
If you need assistance with sending your child or children to camp and it's a necessity due to having to go to work you can speak to the school where your kids go during the year they can usually assist with this. You can also ask the camp for a discount they are usually nice about it if you are not working maybe you can get a job in the day camp and then kids go for free or for huge discount. I worked in day camp one summer because my kids needed to be in day camp and I couldn't afford it otherwise so I worked and my kids went free. I had a good time and made friends!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

How on earth can a camp survive on $600 per week?

If there's 15 kids in a bunk, that's less than $1300 a week to cover salaries, equipment/facility, food and insurance. And taxes.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
How on earth can a camp survive on $600 per week?

If there's 15 kids in a bunk, that's less than $1300 a week to cover salaries, equipment/facility, food and insurance. And taxes.

I imagine this must be a toddler camp run by teenagers where there is very little overhead costs. Otherwise it makes zero sense. I’m talking from experience.
Even the Lakewood prices quoted above sound cheap to me. And once there are Rabbeim that need to be paid, the overhead costs shoot way up.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:14 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
In my neighborhood the absolute cheapest is 2900$.

My friends who send their kids elsewhere pay closer to 4k

I pay less for sleepover camp.

In lkwd for my girls I’m paying 1300-1600 whole summer. (Over the top fun professional camps)
Primary girl - $800 - 9 weeks (married women with assistants in backyard)
Sleepover - teen boy $1950 (was supposed to do $1300 camp like past but didn’t work out)
Teen boy $700 - 1/2 summer
Teen boy school camp - $250 over tuition -1/2 summer
I work full time so it’s a necessity. Have no plans for my toodler yet Surprised

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m sending one child to camp because it’s an absolute imperative that she be around other children. It’s $1100 for the summer. I can’t afford to send anyone else, and my other kids are mad.

Plan really fun activities for your other kids. My sister does a fantastic job on a really low budget. My daughter went to my sister for a few weeks and liked it better than regular camp. Find things like stream hiking and lakes to swim in; check out your library and see if they have free museum passes; look at websites that cater to fun things to do in your area like mommy poppins.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:15 pm
I pay my school tuition over 10 months and then 2 months of summer is for day camp.
It’s roughly the same amount.

Dreading sleep away because that is $$$$

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:41 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I imagine this must be a toddler camp run by teenagers where there is very little overhead costs. Otherwise it makes zero sense. I’m talking from experience.
Even the Lakewood prices quoted above sound cheap to me. And once there are Rabbeim that need to be paid, the overhead costs shoot way up.

It's not a toddler camp. It's elementary age. Every bunk has 1 married counselor and 1 high school counselor. The camp is run by a school. The private fancier daycamps are $1000-$1200 a summer.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:00 pm
some ppl here said just pay for camp because there is no tuition in the summer, but I save that money that would otherwise go towards tuition and use it for my tuition during sept to june, so I cant afford camp...

I know some camps charge a lot, but its a business and the camps by me, dont have to pay most counselors bec many times they are paid by youth core...im sure the camp makes a lot of money, but they have a right to charge..its part of their parnassa after all, just like shietel machers etc who also charge a fortune for shietels /frum clothing stores etc

however, I did see advertisements about organizations that collect money to be able to pay for kids to go to camp, I wonder how they decide who gets to use this money ...is it for low income or??? and by me, if I send my kids to camp, it is something I need to fill out on tuition deduction form as it is considered a luxury such that they believe if you can afford it, you can afford higher tuition bills ....I dont understand how many ppl who pay less tuition than I do, have $ for camp, but sometimes its subsidized???

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:41 pm
I’m paying around $500 a kid for 4 weeks in Lakewood. There’s a fund that helps but might be too late to sign up. It’s called kids n camp fund. I keep my kids home second half and we do little trips, projects, baking, ice cream store. We get uniforms, school shoes, school supplies etc. Much cheaper than day camp and no schedule very relaxed

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:28 am
Come to Antwerp. I just paid for my 14 year old €220 $266 for aguda daycamp. My 11 year old twins go to chabad daycamp and its €180 $217 each. This is the last year for my 14 year old. And the health insurance pays back about half.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Don’t be so quick to say this. It costs A LOT of money and A LOT of prep time to run a camp. Especially if the kids are older or you need rabbeim. I charged $175 a week last year and after paying counselors, lifeguards, supplies trips etc, I came out with a little over 1k for 7 weeks of full time work!

I feel so bad you made so little!! that's beyond frustrating!1
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children