Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why is my 8mo suddenly so cranky?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:42 am
For the past week all he does is kvetch and cry and cling to me.
He has a cold but I took him to the dr twice and was told that all looks good and he does not have an ear infection.
He's been waking up in the middle of the night but more like in the morning he wakes up screaming till I come get him. Then he's happy for about 5 mins till he starts crying and I put him back to sleep. Then he wakes up screaming again a half hour later and is cranky the rest of the day no matter how much he eats or sleeps.
Motrin did not make a difference.
I would think teething but I'm almost positive he's not getting any teeth now.
Any ideas why he could be so unhappy?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:45 am
How's his stool? Is he going regularly, soft stool? (Asking because sometimes when solids increase, babies become constipated or have harder adult-like stool which is not good and painful.) If that's normal, I'd suspect teething. Sounds like baby is experiencing pain.

Btw did you try baby Tylenol instead of Motrin? Motrin can sometimes be hard on the tummy.

rubyred

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:57 am
Probably teething. The cold symptoms are likely from teething. Give him Tylenol before bed so he sleeps.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:26 am
rubyred wrote:
Probably teething. The cold symptoms are likely from teething. Give him Tylenol before bed so he sleeps.

Definitely teething. Why do you think he’s not?

Try Motrin one night and see if it makes a difference

sillymommy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 11:40 am
A few reasons why I don't think he's teething.
1. Its been over a week already and I don't see or feel any signs of teeth
2. He has a few teeth already and never acted like this
3. His twin brother just got more teeth and he's always been about 3-4 weeks behind in getting those same teeth
4. I give him motrin all the time (day and night) and I haven't seen any difference in his mood. If he was in pain I would think that the motrin would help him sleep better or be in a better mood.

He definitely seems tired a lot (think- he slept 11.5 hours at night and still needed to go back to sleep 20 mins after he woke up, slept for another 45 mins and then woke up kvetchy) so I would think maybe thats an issue. His day sleep is not the greatest as he does not have consistent naps. He wakes up crying after a short while and won't go back to sleep but then is tired and kvetchy and sometimes will go back to sleep an hour later, sometimes not. But if that's the culprit then:
1. Why the suddent onset when he used to sleep well?
2. Why is he waking up screaming bloody murder if he's tired?
3. How would I address this?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:00 pm
Ear infection? I’d bring him to doctor

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:09 pm
About two months ago, my darling 10-month-old niece gave my sister a similarly fun week. Sis took her twice to the doctor, sure it was an ear infection - nope. Kept her up at night, her nose ran like no one's business.....cried and fussed like crazy.

And sure enough, two little pearly whites showed up on her bottom gum one morning.....

(I just love that smile now, with those two little teeth. Shmush....)

sillymommy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:13 pm
We went to the doctor twice already. No ear infection just a runny nose and cough and some post nasal drip.
Twin brother (who is acting fine) has the same symptoms.

rubyred

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:13 pm
Different personalities I guess...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics