Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
So are most people wearing fakes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Id only worry about others if Im perfect and I never did anything contrary to the Torah myself.

Thats the problem. People focus and scrutinize others as if theyre perfect in every way, which itself is a huge imperfection and not approved or excused by the Torah in any way.

Counterfeiting is stealing. Its using someone else's intellectual property. Its not just that it takes away sales to those who purchase the fakes, it diminishes the value of the asset so that there are fewer sales to others.

I don't judge you for carrying an expensive purse. Or a cheap one. Or none at all.

But I do judge people who steal.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:04 am
Youre great, Im great, were all great, and all very genuinely wanting to grow and reduce our weaknesses on our own without getting clobbered by others, which is always counterproductive. Everyone knows their weaknesses.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:08 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Hm, and tuition and kosher food. It doesn’t equal out. We are spending a lot more.

I'm talking about spending on things that are obvious to other people:)

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:12 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Counterfeiting is stealing. Its using someone else's intellectual property. Its not just that it takes away sales to those who purchase the fakes, it diminishes the value of the asset so that there are fewer sales to others.

I don't judge you for carrying an expensive purse. Or a cheap one. Or none at all.

But I do judge people who steal.

And I try NOT to judge people who judge others. Leave the judging to Hashem.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Youre great, Im great, were all great, and all very genuinely wanting to grow and reduce our weaknesses on our own without getting clobbered by others, which is always counterproductive. Everyone knows their weaknesses.

It’s a great general mindset.
I still feel like we can discuss these thing on imamother. (Not irl)
If this is what you stand for, please put this quote in almost every thread.
In those asking why kids are allowed out alone
In those about any tznius issue
In those about household norms aka how often you wash linen.
In this about if you send kids to camp

I feel that in an online forum discussing community concepts is perfectly okay.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:13 am
Crookshanks wrote:
I'm talking about spending on things that are obvious to other people:)

A very large percentage in our community spends on phones, Teslas or similar, ferragamo belts, designer bags, Rolex watches and lots of diamond jewelry.

I personally only wear my tennis bracelet on Shabbos. I turn my rings backward when I’m in the presence of non Jews. I stick with smaller diamond studs rather than upgrading. I avoid obviously designer bags and belts.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:14 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
We don't excuse our behavior because of others.

You may not care about this inyan. But it is real.

מעשה אבות סימן לבנים.

You may not think counterfeit goods are not a big deal and community flaunting of wealth is not so bad.

But there are genuine halachic and hashkafic issues with them.

I understand that learning that one is not acting according to Torah is hard. But one can choose to grow or not.

I'm not excusing behavior based on others. I'm showing that different communities, and groups of people, choose different things to spend on.
And yes, people spending money does not bother me, though I cannot afford any of these designer things. When I see someone spend $2,000 on a gown, or hundreds on clothes for their kids or thousands on renovations, I say, "wow that is so nice for them! Kein yirbu b'Yisrael. Hashem, please let everyone in Klal Yisrael be able to afford the things they want and need."
Idk, it seems a lot healthier than kvetching and blaming and judging.
Instead of working on other people's middos of histapkus b'muat, let's work on our own ayin tova.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:15 am
So I don't know anything at all about this topic, but if I bought a $5 "Christian Siriano" bag in Amazing Savings and snapped off the ridiculous looking "designer label" before use, is that ok? It's a great little bag.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:00 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Non Jews spend money on different things. Where I live everyone has dump phones, but all the cleaning ladies have the latest phones and the fanciest cars. They spend on that, we spend on clothing and home decor.

That's a ridiculous thing to say.
Do you know how many different types of nonJews there are? Those around me are mainly very low key, thrifty, modest people, who won't throw out something if it's functional.
Not all nonJews are in to conspicuous consumption at all,and certainly not specifically for phones and cars.
And not all Jews are into conspicuous consumption either, and if they are, not necessarily home decor and clothes (quite a lot of certain Jewish groups' conspicuous consumption is davka centered on lavish parties).

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Do you know how many different types of nonJews there are? Those around me are mainly very low key, thrifty, modest people, who won't throw out something if it's functional.
Not all nonJews are in to conspicuous consumption at all,and certainly not specifically for phones and cars.
And not all Jews are into conspicuous consumption either, and if they are, not necessarily home decor and clothes (quite a lot of certain Jewish groups' conspicuous consumption is davka centered on lavish parties).

Yes, and expensive vacations and Yom Tov hotel stays that eat up a disproportionately large percentage of their yearly income.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:

Hello Leaf, I am talking about the non Jews who live in Lakewood and who see what we wear. I guess where you live there are other non Jews.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics