Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help with baby name

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:15 pm
2 naming questions:

My grandfather was named elyakim getzel. My husband and I don't like the name. Does anyone know what it means or a name similar we can use instead? Maybe a different name that has the same meaning?

We have a first name we really like but the one name idea we have for elyakim getzel would make it sound like a tongue twister. Would you name a baby for example a name like meira Miriam or no way?

Thanks!

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:45 pm
I see no problem with Meira Miriam.

I think Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) has a similar meaning to Elyakim. "Gd will build up".

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:00 pm
I'd totally do an alliterative name, like Meira Miriam or Menachem Mendel or Leiba Leah.

But I would also name my child after my grandparent and give him a nickname I liked, like Eli.

If there's a name you could add in addition to your grandpa's name, like Eliyahu Elyakim Getzel, I'd go for that.

scientist

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:03 pm
My DS’s name is Elyakim. We call him Eli. Same for the cousins named after the same relative.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:13 pm
scientist wrote:
My DS’s name is Elyakim. We call him Eli. Same for the cousins named after the same relative.

We may be cousins Wink

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:15 pm
It's not so bad if you can call him Eli. I know a family of getzel and there's nothing you can do about that... They're all called getzy and it's just a family name.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:21 pm
[quote="scientist"]My DS’s name is Elyakim. We call him Eli. Same for the cousins named after the same relative.[/qu

I have a cousin who also named the full name after him and calls him Eli which is really cute. I live in Israel so people actually get called by their Hebrew names here more so then america so I would want a hebrew name that we connect with and my son can actually go by.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:15 am
Elyokim Getzel meaning is G-dly, first in Hebrew second in Yiddish like G-t. Maybe a G-d fearing man.
It's in my ancestry too. On metzeiva it says Elyokim (machuna Getz) meaning nickname, called by, meaning Getz. None of my kids have this name. There are some in my more extended family that do have name. Some go by Elyokim, I know some people who go by Getzel, Getzy.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:52 am
OP: if you tell me the meaning of Getzel, I will try to give you Hebrew alternatives.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
OP: if you tell me the meaning of Getzel, I will try to give you Hebrew alternatives.

I think it means “like G-d”

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:57 am
Elyokim is the Hebrew equivalent to the Yiddish Getz-getzel which is from word g-d

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:03 pm
Elyakim = G-d will establish?

I was told that Yoshiyahu might mean that, that it’s a machlokes what it means but that is one explanation.

But it’s also a pretty unusual name.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:13 pm
My friend chose name Elyakim Dovid.
Meaning Hashem should rebuild the Bais hamikdash and send us moshiach.

For my daughter I had to use a family name I really didn’t like. We added the name Bracha which is what we call her

Maybe you can name your son Elyakim Baruch?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:18 pm
Its one of those double names like yehuda leib or tzvi hersh. Once upon a time it is just the hebrew part when called to the torah & the yiddish nickname was a nickname, not a named name.

Ely really is fine. So is Tzally.

If you want an alliteration version, some work, others dont work so well. You really need to run it by people if you want others opinions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names