Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why does anyone think forehead thermometers work??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:16 pm
They don't.
It is a huge waste of money.
All year long the kids had their temperatures taken as soon as they came onto the bus, or onto the school campus. But those infrared thermometers are totally useless.

I took my kid to the doctors office today because he was burning a fever. The nurse comes in and very nonchalantly takes his temperature. "97.8" she sings...
I said, "this kid is burning up with fever. Theres no chance that he is 97."

She went to get an ear thermometer. He had over 102. This isnt the only time it happened either.

Why is everyone using them? What am I missing?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:17 pm
I returned mine

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don't.
All year long the kids had their temperatures taken as soon as they came onto the bus, or onto the school campus. But those infrared thermometers are totally useless.

I took my kid to the doctors office today because he was burning a fever. The nurse comes in and very nonchalantly takes his temperature. "97.8" she sings...

She went to get an ear thermometer. He had over 102. This isnt the only time it happened either.

And why do they think an ear thermometer works?
A rectal thermometer is way more accurate.
My child can be burning with 103 and they take his temperature and it’s 99 and they’re like low grade fever... and I’m like why doesn’t a rectal thermometer exist in this entire facility?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:44 pm
Totally agree! I've had my temperature checked at work for months (nurse here). One time the person taking my temperature tells me that my temp is 93.5 but "that's probably because it's cold outside." And I'm thinking, lady, I'd be a medical miracle if I was truly walking around with a temperature like that.

sillymommy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 12:55 pm
My baby was in the hospital and they were doing rectal temps because he had a fever.
At some point his fever went down so they started doing it in the ear or armpit instead. They refused to give him Tylenol because he didn't have fever anymore according to their thermometers. I begged them to do a rectal and sure enough he had 101.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:16 pm
My son was once burning with fever on Purim. I ran to CVS to by an ear thermometer for 40 dollars. I took his temp. It showed 97.9.
We happened to have someone over then who was a nurse. I asked her take his temp, since I obviously was doing something wrong.
She takes his temp and says, "nope! His temp is normal."
I said, "look at him! Feel his head! He is burning to the touch. !"

She was like, I dont know... theres no temperature... Rolling Eyes

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:18 pm
LOL I was working in a business where we were taking temps at one point due to Covid...

The highest the thermometer ever registered was 97

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:19 pm
It was all for show.

mizle10

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:21 pm
sillymommy wrote:
My baby was in the hospital and they were doing rectal temps because he had a fever.
At some point his fever went down so they started doing it in the ear or armpit instead. They refused to give him Tylenol because he didn't have fever anymore according to their thermometers. I begged them to do a rectal and sure enough he had 101.

Well, yes, a rectal thermometer will always register aprox 2 degrees higher than oral.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:25 pm
I personally don't like the ear thermometers either. I check axillary temperatures and they are accurate. And yes, a rectal temperature is a core temperature and is generally 1 or 2 degrees higher than other methods.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:28 pm
If you put it ON the forehead - touching - it sometimes works.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:29 pm
Honestly if I ever get the forehead thermometer to read anywhere between 98-99 I assume it’s a degree higher and we’re dealing with low grade fever. I use it knowing it’s not accurate and everyone’s temperature is a degree higher (at least).
Kids don’t even know how to put a thermometer under their tongues anymore. Before we got the forehead thermometer I took their temperature under their arms. It’s seems to be as accurate as in the mouth.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Totally agree! I've had my temperature checked at work for months (nurse here). One time the person taking my temperature tells me that my temp is 93.5 but "that's probably because it's cold outside." And I'm thinking, lady, I'd be a medical miracle if I was truly walking around with a temperature like that.

LoL I once called the doctor and told him my child has 90 temperature and he was like "please take a rectal temperature. 90 doesn't sustain human life. lol" I'll never forget that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:35 pm
I personally think the best thermometer is my own hand, or my lips.
I can tell in a second if the kid has fever.
But then they always ask how high...is there reay a diff if its 101 or 102?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:39 pm
I got it so I could sign that my kid had a normal temperature. I use my BBT one if I actually care to know.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don't.

Omg, same!!!! I feel like an idiot every time. Like the thermometer knows better than mom Can't Believe It

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:45 pm
I believe it was created for small businesses who cannot allow anyone with fever to shop in their store. LOL LOL LOL

this thermometer is so inaccurate, I believe noone shows above 100.4 on it

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:00 pm
So why are they being used in schools and doctors offices??
Do they really believe they work?

SwissAlps

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:25 pm
I have a forehead thermometer and I hate it for the opposite reason. If there is fever it will show much higher than there really is. It can show 103 and I will be all concerned about the high temperature, but all other methods will show 101. Never found it to be accurate.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:28 pm
They are being used because they are non-invasive, contact free, quick and easy. No one ever claimed they were accurate, but people accept them much more easily than having a thermometer stuck in their mouths and then waiting for the reading. The theory is that they will identify any extreme fever.

The first day we were using one at my clinic, every single person walking in had the same temperature. I reported that it probably wasn't working, and was told that was fine, and it was just an approximation. If I ever got a result that was even mildly suspicious, we took out a regular thermometer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics