Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Writer’s Block - help!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:38 pm
I have several projects waiting for me, but my creative juices have dried up. I stare at an empty word file feeling unable to get my fingers moving on the keyboard.
Help! Banging head

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:40 pm
What kind of projects?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:43 pm
I’m translating a book. Also working on a poem.
(And working on my novel which will probably never see the light of day).

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:44 pm
-Take a walk

-Take a shower

Usually works for me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
-Take a walk

-Take a shower

Usually works for me.

I showered in the morning but will go out and take a nice walk. Thanks for the advice!

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:52 pm
Are you overwhelmed by the amount you have to do? I'm not a writer, but this works for me in other areas. Decide that you will work on one unit a day, such as one paragraph. Some days you'll end up doing more. Then at the end of the month or whatever, instead of going many days and weeks without doing a thing, you will be surprised to find that you actually made progress.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:07 pm
I like Simple's advice about setting a daily goal.
What helps me with writer's block is brainstorming and asking questions. Write the scene as it is experienced through the five senses.
To achieve a sleek, non-wordy entry, I break down the paragraph into many short sentences. Then cut out anything redundant, and swap out multiple words for one.
Action proceeds motivation, so don't wait for inspiration. Start at it and vitality will come on its own!

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:19 pm
For the translation, set a daily goal. For the poem, read more books on poems and go into the nature. For the novel make chapter outlines and take a break from social media and the news. behatzlacha!

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:41 pm
When I’m stuck on a big project (novel or other book) I usually go back a few chapters and start editing. A lot of time that more tedious work sparks some ideas and creativity. But even if not, I got some of the nitty gritty stuff out of the way and revisions are easier later.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 7:53 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice! Was very helpful. Managed to accomplish a few tasks, although I didn’t get to the Novel yet Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club