Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Another kitchen question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:07 pm
My kitchen is small and cramped. We are replacing the cabinets. On one hand, I think the cabinets should be a light color to make the room feel more spacious. But on the other hand, with bh a bunch of kids, I'm afraid that a light color will age very quickly.
Any advice?

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:15 pm
I have little kids and white cabinets. They clean real easily with a damp rag. They always look clean. 4 years so far

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:36 pm
You might consider a darker color in base cabinets, while keeping the wall-mounted ones white or some light shade. Little kids make more of a mess touching the lower cabinets.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:41 pm
I feel like darker cabinets would show more mess than light.
Fingerprints, dents, scratches…

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:43 pm
I have high gloss cabinets that are a cream color. The high gloss cleans so easily, I prefer it to my old wooden cabinets that always looked dull and were harder to clean. The light color makes the kitchen look so much brighter and airier.
I would recommend a light color and I have 3 kids under 5.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:15 pm
If you have a small space do not do two tone it's too busy. Better glossy and easy to wipe

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:08 pm
Thanks so much everyone. It sounds like the consensus is, light colors are fine but get glossy.

Now I have a follow up, does it look better to have dark countertops with light cabinets or light countertops?

cupcake123

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:12 pm
I think white countertops. Black counters would also make a small kitchen look darker/smaller.
Imo all white is simple and timeless

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:14 pm
White cabinets and light counter tops!!
For a small space it’s amazing. You’ll wipe them down as needed.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:38 pm
I have little kids. A few of them. I have a light color kitchen. I don't regret it for a second. It makes the room look that much bigger.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:45 pm
Ok the consensus is stay with light colors then! I should have thought of all my questions in my OP but here's another one. What kind of countertops are the best? By best I mean, most durable, require least maintenance and don't show dirt or wear and tear.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:47 pm
I also have white countertops. I do have to be careful about stains (horseradish , plastic bags placed on the counter when wet…) but bH a little soap and water almost always gets stains out. It cleans up so nicely and looks beautiful

cupcake123

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:18 pm
Its between quartz and granite. I think people are doing more quartz these days

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:19 pm
I wouldn't get plain white countertops, it can look blinding. I'd get white with some other color running through the stone.

simba

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:24 pm
OP. Is this your forever kitchen? Do you want to invest in it or is this a project for the next 10 years or so?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 8:12 pm
simba wrote:
OP. Is this your forever kitchen? Do you want to invest in it or is this a project for the next 10 years or so?

Good question. Money was always super tight and that's not likely to change because b"h, we have tuitions to pay and after that, we'll iy"h have weddings to make. So....I can't imagine being able to redo this kitchen again in 10 years. So I really want to like it. But we're on a tight budget.

simba

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good question. Money was always super tight and that's not likely to change because b"h, we have tuitions to pay and after that, we'll iy"h have weddings to make. So....I can't imagine being able to redo this kitchen again in 10 years. So I really want to like it. But we're on a tight budget.

Ok. So my thoughts.

Glossy would be a veneer. Means a thin board applied to the cabinets. That board has different grades application, the cheap ones start peeling off with time. High grade gloss is the way to go for a long term look. Yes, it will wipe clean for longer then it will stay applied to your cabinets.

I agree with a darker color base cabinets and a white top.
Try to get the darker color a stain as opposed to a paint. That will show wear and tear less.
The white tops can be painted but ask about a higher grade paint.

The dark bottom and white too will give you a nice airy look.

I'd go for a Quartz countertop if your on budget. The natural stones are alot more expensive and dont really justify.

Good Luck!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:31 am
simba wrote:
Ok. So my thoughts.

Glossy would be a veneer. Means a thin board applied to the cabinets. That board has different grades application, the cheap ones start peeling off with time. High grade gloss is the way to go for a long term look. Yes, it will wipe clean for longer then it will stay applied to your cabinets.

I agree with a darker color base cabinets and a white top.
Try to get the darker color a stain as opposed to a paint. That will show wear and tear less.
The white tops can be painted but ask about a higher grade paint.

The dark bottom and white too will give you a nice airy look.

I'd go for a Quartz countertop if your on budget. The natural stones are alot more expensive and dont really justify.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much! And to everyone who responded. I'm going to have to read this over a few times because this is all new to me.

Is Quartz better than granite?

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:37 am
I’ll second that I do NOT like the 2 tone cabinet look in a small kitchen. All white is beautiful! The counter should have a colored grain running through the stone. We have white cabinets and a white with gray counter. Stainless sinks and appliances. It’s beautiful and airy and easy to clean.

mommy12

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:51 am
We have off-white cabinets with a texture to them. It's really pretty and hides dirt very well. We got a granite countertop with black, white, and gray pattern. Our walls are a very light mint green. We don't have a backsplash at all. Our kitchen is tiny but looks really pretty and the light colors help make it look bigger.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen