Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Age appropriate chores

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:18 pm
What chores are appropriate for boys 3-6?
My boys never want to help. Is there a list of age appropriate chores other than "pick up your toys"?

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:19 pm
It's a hard age. My 4 yo ds loves vacuuming and cleaning the walls with a baby wipe.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:54 pm
Following

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:04 pm
About age 3 my kids had to clean up their own messes (reasonable ones. Like their cars and puzzles etc. If it was huge theyd get help) and contribute to setting the Shabbos table while it was being set by someone else (just helping put 1 or 2 things out).

About age 4 they also put away the easiest parts of their laundry pile, like their socks and underwear. Also easy fun chores, like spritzing/wiping mirrors and windows

By about age 6 they had a specific thing to set on the Shabbos table (like cups), and put away all their laundry besides things that were difficult to fold, which theyd get help with.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:07 pm
•Make their beds daily
•Pick up any garbage from the floor
•More for 5/6, not yet 3; Put away their own folded laundry
•Depending on their motor skills- Teach them to fold their underwear, and they can do that, too.
•Help unpack some of the groceries -put snacks away, and some other easier stuff.
•wipe doorknobs and light switches with a clorox wipe. Clean any sticky handprints on walls with a wipe, too.

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:10 pm
Is there a way to keep them motivated? I don't want to give them prizes every day

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:12 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:
Is there a way to keep them motivated? I don't want to give them prizes every day

"Cleanup time for everyone! Afterwards, we'll read a book/play a game/have a snack if everything is done by ____ o'clock!"

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:13 pm
I Dont have kids old enough for this, but my parents had a list of jobs after supper and everyone got one age appropriate, that age they had to put things from the supper table away and she taught them how to wipe it down they enjoyed having a responsibility like the big ones.

behappy2

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:42 pm
Whatever they like doing, whatever they can do. They often need you to do it with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics