Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
White blood count high
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:44 pm
Would an ear infection explain a high blood count in a baby? The blood count was 26.5.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:06 pm
Yes. Infection causes higher white blood cell count.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:16 pm
Ok thanks.
I went to a pediatrician. He didnt see any ear infection causing the fever. He Sent me to ER for chest xray.
I went to an urgent care instead. They said he has a double ear infection. Declined to do the chest x ray.
Now I'm confused.
The pediatrician is known to be very good.

helpful

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:16 pm
White blood cells fight infection, therefore, a high wbc would indicate that the body is fighting an infection. So the answer is yes: an ear infection would cause a high wbc.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok thanks.
I went to a pediatrician. He didnt see any ear infection causing the fever. He Sent me to ER for chest xray.
I went to an urgent care instead. They said he has a double ear infection. Declined to do the chest x ray.
Now I'm confused.
The pediatrician is known to be very good.

Oh wow, it's weird that the pediatrician didn't see an ear infection!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:30 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Oh wow, it's weird that the pediatrician didn't see an ear infection!

Exactly. In both ears.
I dont know which doctor to trust. I'm inclined to trust the pediatrician.
I havent seen the baby tugging at his ears or anything.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:36 pm
I would trust the pediatrician a million times over an urgent care. I work in a pediatric dept and I can't tell you how many times I've seen urgent cares give incorrect diagnoses. Many of them have little experience or very little pediatric experience.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:06 pm
Trust the pediatrician. Make sure to get the chest x-ray right away.

BTW not all fluid in the ear is treated like an ear infection. If the doctor says it's not infected, then he's trying to help you find the infection that's raising the white blood count with a chest x-ray. A proper diagnosis is important in order to have the proper medicine prescribed so the baby can heal.

Refuah Shelaima!

tweety1

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:07 pm
Am I reading it right? Your pediatrician sent you for a chest x ray when the count is over 26 and you're declining??

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly. In both ears.
I dont know which doctor to trust. I'm inclined to trust the pediatrician.
I havent seen the baby tugging at his ears or anything.

If both ears would be infected, baby would be tugging ears and crying in pain. I'd err to the side of caution and take a chest xray.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:47 pm
I don't understand. Your pediatrician is a good diagnostician yet you don't trust him/her and went to an urgent care anyway? Urgent cares are notorious for mosdiagnosing just about everything. Please listen to the pediatrician and go for the x ray.

OceanRider

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:56 pm
Why did you go to an urgent care instead of the ER if you trust your doctor

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:05 pm
pizzapie wrote:
I don't understand. Your pediatrician is a good diagnostician yet you don't trust him/her and went to an urgent care anyway? Urgent cares are notorious for mosdiagnosing just about everything. Please listen to the pediatrician and go for the x ray.

Ok. To clarify for everyone who is yelling at me:
The pediatrician told me to take him to the ER for a chest x ray. He was concerned because fever for 6 days and high white blood count. I asked him if I could do the xray at the Urgent care. He said yes, go to the Pediatric urgent care. This pediatric urgent care is connected to an excellent childrens hospital in my city. It is known to be good. The doctor was comfortable with it.

I walked into the urgent care requesting a chest xray. The doctor checked him and said he has a double ear infection which explains the high fever, and he would treat him for the ear infection. He also said that even if the baby were to have pneumonia, he would treat him the same way, so the amoxicillin would cover both. His lungs sounded good btw.

Afterwards, I took the baby to a nurse/friend who has an otiscope at home. She checked him and said she also sees that his ears are infected, but not very bad, and she would treat it with amoxicillin.

I called back my pediatrician and told him what happened and he said ear infections can be subjective. I even went back to him and he checked his ears again. He still did not see an ear infection but he was comfortable treating him with amox and watch it for 48 hours.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:08 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Am I reading it right? Your pediatrician sent you for a chest x ray when the count is over 26 and you're declining??

I didnt decline it. I meant to write that the Urgent care declined to do the chest x ray even though that's what the doctor prescribed.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok. To clarify for everyone who is yelling at me:
The pediatrician told me to take him to the ER for a chest x ray. He was concerned because fever for 6 days and high white blood count. I asked him if I could do the xray at the Urgent care. He said yes, go to the Pediatric urgent care. This pediatric urgent care is connected to an excellent childrens hospital in my city. It is known to be good. The doctor was comfortable with it.

I walked into the urgent care requesting a chest xray. The doctor checked him and said he has a double ear infection which explains the high fever, and he would treat him for the ear infection. He also said that even if the baby were to have pneumonia, he would treat him the same way, so the amoxicillin would cover both. His lungs sounded good btw.

Afterwards, I took the baby to a nurse/friend who has an otiscope at home. She checked him and said she also sees that his ears are infected, but not very bad, and she would treat it with amoxicillin.

I called back my pediatrician and told him what happened and he said ear infections can be subjective. I even went back to him and he checked his ears again. He still did not see an ear infection but he was comfortable treating him with amox and watch it for 48 hours.

Got it. This is a very different story than the one in your OP. Refuah sheleima and hope your little one feels better!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:35 pm
pizzapie wrote:
Got it. This is a very different story than the one in your OP. Refuah sheleima and hope your little one feels better!

Yes sorry, I wrote it while sitting in the room at the Urgent care and waiting for the doctor to come back..I didn't realize I wasn't being clear.

IsraeliSoul

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:08 pm
Oh now it makes more sense. Hope he gets well soon.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:28 pm
Op
How’s your baby doing?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 3:37 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
Op
How’s your baby doing?

Thanks for asking..
His fever went down that day and he was back to himself bH. He was fine all week.

Then the rash came out. He currently has an awful rash over much of his body. Apparently it could be connected to the fever.

happy chick

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for asking..
His fever went down that day and he was back to himself bH. He was fine all week.

Then the rash came out. He currently has an awful rash over much of his body. Apparently it could be connected to the fever.

I would recommend going back to your pediatrician to do a cbc to make sure the white blood count is normal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics