Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why does anyone think forehead thermometers work??
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:50 pm
SwissAlps wrote:
I have a forehead thermometer and I hate it for the opposite reason. If there is fever it will show much higher than there really is. It can show 103 and I will be all concerned about the high temperature, but all other methods will show 101. Never found it to be accurate.

Maybe in the Swiss alps they work better Wink

SwissAlps

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Maybe in the Swiss alps they work better Wink

Except that I don't live there LOL

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:38 pm
I asked my dr this when I clearly had fever and his receptionist told me that my temp was 97.5. He told me that they’re not reliable, they just have to do it. It’s ridiculous. If the dr really wants to know the temp they redo it orally once you’re in the room.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:42 pm
I walked into the ER with 104 oral fever and made it past the front door thermometer without it even registering.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:02 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Well, yes, a rectal thermometer will always register aprox 2 degrees higher than oral.

When my child is not sick and I check with a rectal thermometer the temperature is at 98 and not 96 so even if it’s 2 degrees higher it’s actually accurate

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:03 pm
None of this makes any sense. I must've bought 5 thermometers over the last few years, each time thinking this time it will work. How could they keep selling a product that doesn't work?? And why would doctors rely on them?
The nurse looked surprised when I contradicted her by saying my baby surely has fever... I just don't get it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 8:13 pm
The Braun ear thermoscan 5 is the most accurate digital thermometer.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:58 am
Op I could have written this post!!
Rectal is the way to go if you want to know the accurate temp.
It drives me crazy that the doctors office thermometers don’t show temp even when the kid has.
I don’t find ear or forehead to be accurate

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 1:15 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Op I could have written this post!!
Rectal is the way to go if you want to know the accurate temp.
It drives me crazy that the doctors office thermometers don’t show temp even when the kid has.
I don’t find ear or forehead to be accurate

So why do they sell it? Why do doctors it? I'm seriously confused. They surely know more than us that those thermometers are useless. What's the point??

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:07 am
I usually calibrate against a standard oral thermometer. Then I can say "okay, 36C on the IR thermometer is equivalent to 37C on my oral thermometer."

Then I can use the forehead thermometer for speed and convenience, and interpret the results accordingly.

I can usually tell if my kids have a fever or not by feeling their forehead with my hand and looking at their eyes. I just use the thermometer to be able to give a number to a doctor.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:07 am
Forehead thermometers work. They say "fever" or "no fever." If you want a number you don't use a forehead thermometer.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I personally think the best thermometer is my own hand, or my lips.
I can tell in a second if the kid has fever.

But then they always ask how high...is there reay a diff if its 101 or 102?

I use my lips, and I am always accurate to within a half a degree. I can tell in a second if things are serious or not.

Even when I babysit and it's a new child, I can tell the difference.

bsy

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:09 am
I have a Braun ear thermometer. I can't say its accurate to the degree. But it definitely picks up fever. I never used to have a thermometer, just felt with my hand/lips. But when my baby registered 104 at an urgent care with an ear infection, I got the Braun ear scan. It seems to be accurate enough to know if the fever is low grade vs high.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:16 am
bsy wrote:
I have a Braun ear thermometer. I can't say its accurate to the degree. But it definitely picks up fever. I never used to have a thermometer, just felt with my hand/lips. But when my baby registered 104 at an urgent care with an ear infection, I got the Braun ear scan. It seems to be accurate enough to know if the fever is low grade vs high.

My Braun showed my son had 99.9. I figured it was probably closer to 101 since I knew it wasn’t accurate. I was surprised when it registered as 104 in the doctors office!

I think there’s a problem with most thermometers and digital blood pressure cuffs being consistently accurate. Probably only rectal thermometers are always accurate and the old type of blood pressure cuff- not the digital. However you cannot take an adults or teens temperature rectally!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics