Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Oy

Lovable

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:22 pm
So for some reason this word is getting to me. Recently, posters have been using it in a really condescending way. Like trying to say 'poor you, you dont agree with what I say'
Its really annoying me
It sends across such a horrible message, this tone of 'oy'
Whatever, Maybe Im not making much sense. Just felt like I had to let it out here

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:35 pm
It's pretty much the same as a hug. Both are juvenile.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:35 pm
I used it when an anonymous poster really launched a personal attack. I saw that it triggered her even more and she really didn't let up so I reported it and got the exchange removed from the thread which then proceeded nicely.

So I agree that it probably doesn't solve anything or get the person to discuss the topic reasonably.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:46 pm
oy is like a verbal face palm

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 5:48 pm
singleagain wrote:
oy is like a verbal face palm

YOUR palm & THEIR face LOL

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:04 pm
scruffy wrote:
It's pretty much the same as a hug. Both are juvenile.

What makes a hug juvenile? Isn't a hug just a way of sending a virtual hug to someone who's hurting?

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:07 pm
jflower wrote:
What makes a hug juvenile? Isn't a hug just a way of sending a virtual hug to someone who's hurting?

I meant misuse of the hug button which really irks me

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:08 pm
jflower wrote:

Some people are using it as a don't like icon.

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:08 pm
scruffy wrote:
I meant misuse of the hug button which really irks me

Can you please explain what you mean by misuse of the hug button? I'm truly trying to understand why some imas are so irritated when they are hugged.

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:19 pm
Oops. Southern bubby, I didn't see your post before I previously posted. I'm wondering how to determine whether a hug is used as a virtual hug or as a dislike. I always assumed it is an attempt at comforting the poster and that's the way I use the hug button myself.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:21 pm
jflower wrote:
Can you please explain what you mean by misuse of the hug button? I'm truly trying to understand why some imas are so irritated when they are hugged.

Because some people use it sarcastically. There is no way to know whether it's being used as a short cut for "Thank you for saying this, it's exactly what I meant but couldn't think how to word it," for "I'm so sorry you're going through this, wish I knew how to help," or for "you poor dear, a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:42 pm
zaq wrote:
Because some people use it sarcastically. There is no way to know whether it's being used as a short cut for "Thank you for saying this, it's exactly what I meant but couldn't think how to word it," for "I'm so sorry you're going through this, wish I knew how to help," or for "you poor dear, a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Exactly this, zaq.

Thanks for explaining it better than I could have!

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 6:43 pm
Got it. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics