Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I shan't count calories!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 7:40 pm
Hi!

I am 5' 0". 120 lb down from 130 plus one year ago.
I notice I've been [/b]so[b] obsessed with weighing, logging, and overthinking my food choices. Maybe I lost a little weight, but I gained an unhealthy habit. This has taken over my mind. I wonder if I'm trying to have complete autonomy in this area because so much of life is not going the way I want it to right now? Just musing.

I'm going to try one week- just one- of eating when I feel like it, trying to tune into my body's signals, and doing my best to fill up on veggies and protein. Next priority following that is fruit and whole grains. Then some treats Smile starting now!

And no scale till after next Shabbos! Wish me luck!
Hooray

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 7:21 pm
I loosely count calories meaning I check specs on packages and make some mental calculations.

I only weigh myself every Wednesday.

I would say, pick the day in the week which suits you most and stick to it.

In my case, I intentionally didn't buy a weighing scale and use a relatives in her house.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:57 pm
Cool thanks!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:28 am
I don’t count calories at all. I eat to satiety. I’ve lost 110 and maintained for a long time now. Edited to say that I don’t count calories but do follow a low carb way of eating, all the time.

I think the closer you are to a goal weight, the harder it gets. I’m not near goal weight, and I know I could eat less but I’m also stable. Today, a dietician I know called me a unicorn.

If you have changed your habits from what you did before and are consistent, you probably don’t need to count calories to maintain. I know it’s hard but learning new things, adaptability and change according to feedback you receive about what you cfo are all tools to help you stay stable and healthy.

I hear you on the compulsion to count. I record only occasionally because I get obsessive too. Just remember that calories are one tool in an arsenal of weapons to maintain weight loss. One tool only!

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:38 am
I’m trying to understand. You lost 120 pounds or you weigh 120 pounds?
I’m also 5 ft tall. I’m a little overweight. I weigh every day because I look terrible and I want to make sure I don’t gain. It’s hard to be short and overweight 😔. I tried not following any plan but I felt too free and couldn’t control myself when I had the foods I love in front of me. I ended up binge eating and paid for that for a long time. I hope you have more self control and it works for you.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:39 am
I'm sure OP didn't lose 120 pounds after weighing 130 because then she would weigh only 10.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I'm sure OP didn't lose 120 pounds after weighing 130 because then she would weigh only 10.

This. Thanks, Bellflower LOL

Currently 120 lb though depends on the day. Started to lose weight when BMI chart showed I was overweight at 131 and 5' 0".

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This. Thanks, Bellflower LOL

Currently 120 lb though depends on the day. Started to lose weight when BMI chart showed I was overweight at 131 and 5' 0".

Op
Can you update

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Op
Can you update

Yep. Tried this for the last 2-3 weeks. I'm much less stressed about what I'm eating. Not weighing, measuring, and logging my food has saved me a lot of time and mental space. On the other hand, I don't have that safety net of knowing what exactly is going into my body and the accountability that comes along with that.

I still eat healthy overall. A vague term, I know. I mean mostly whole grains, a general effort to seriously limit added sugars, and an increase in fruits and veggies.

I weigh myself twice a week and last at 121.5. Progress will be slow and that's fine. I want a healthy mindset as much as a healthy body.

Any tips/been there? Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise