Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help did I ruin this shirt? Stain removal question
Previous  1  2

Marigold

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 7:24 pm
Wet the area with cold water, spray a little shout and pour some murphy on it. (Lestoil can work too) Then rub it together by holding the sweatshirt by the stain area and allow cold running sink water to wash over it while continuing to rub, adding murphy if needed. I find that murphy is stronger than the dish soap. Also a paste of shaklee nature bright with boiling water works better than oxi clean for me.

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s lestoil? Which method would you recommend to try first?

Lestoil is a stinky cleaning soap. I would try this method first, just remember that patience is the key

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:05 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I have spent may years writing articles about laundry and cleaning. (No, my house is not tidy...) But, all the methods here have been great--ra_mom is a rock star.

Do not use a bleach pen.

Next, make a 50/50 solution of dish soap and Lestoil, and rub into stain. Flush with water, repeat. You may need to do this for 24-48 hours--that's what it took to get a red wine stain out of a sofa slipcover--but it was worth it.

You might also try soaking in Biz, which you can buy on Amazon, and works better than oxyclean.

I tried the lestoil but didn’t work - what do you mean try for 24 hours? Leave it in? Or keep trying?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:39 am
Try RIT Color Remover first. Use it on garments that are (were) completely white/ivory and follow directions on the box. It's best to do the stovetop method.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f325c

-----

If all else fails, as a last resort, for all white, all cotton items that you are willing to risk with bleach, prepare a large basin of very cold water, add some bleach and mix to evenly distribute. About a gallon of water and 1/4 cup bleach.
Add the white garment (do not overstuff the basin, allow room so the item is not bunched up) and allow to soak for 10 minutes. You can mix it every few minutes with the length of a cleaning toothbrush if you feel it needs it. Sometimes it may need 15 minutes but that long can sometimes weaken the fabric fibers, so keep that in mind.
It has worked for me when I was desperate and willing to risk or toss.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 9:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
Try RIT Color Remover first. Use it on garments that are (were) completely white/ivory and follow directions on the box. It's best to do the stovetop method.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f325c

-----

If all else fails, as a last resort, for all white, all cotton items that you are willing to risk with bleach, prepare a large basin of very cold water, add some bleach and mix to evenly distribute. About a gallon of water and 1/4 cup bleach.
Add the white garment (do not overstuff the basin, allow room so the item is not bunched up) and allow to soak for 10 minutes. You can mix it every few minutes with the length of a cleaning toothbrush if you feel it needs it. Sometimes it may need 15 minutes but that long can sometimes weaken the fabric fibers, so keep that in mind.
It has worked for me when I was desperate and willing to risk or toss.

Thank you! Can I ask how you know all these great tips?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! Can I ask how you know all these great tips?

Trial and error Can't Believe It 15 years ago I threw out baby clothes and I vowed to teach myself how to deal with stains and laundry properly. I'm still learning.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics