Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Finding coins on the street

happy chick

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 3:17 pm
Or dollars. Do you bend down to pick one up ? Anyone else find it to be a good omen?

It actually says G-d with an o, so technically it isn't allowed to be on the floor anyways.

As a side note, I once bent down to pick up a crumbled dollar bill and shoved it deep into my pocket. When I got home I pulled it out and it was $100!!

mom39

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:03 pm
Think about it. It takes a second to pick up a penny. That's 60 cents per minute or $36 an hour!!

That being said, it hurts too much for me to bend - so no - not for a penny!

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:06 pm
I do .... Don't know why
Always have

Lovable

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:07 pm
I have heard in the past that it is a segula for parnassah
My grandfather has this habit and is actually a very wealthy man....hey, ya neva know!

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:12 pm
I don't believe in "omens." Finding money is in and of itself a good thing for the person who found it and doesn't need to presage anything else. And considering it an "omen" is relying a bit too much on the jingle "Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck." Well, finding money puts you in a good mood and that good mood inevitably colors how you interact with others, approach your work, and react to your surroundings and experiences. IOW it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:18 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't believe in "omens." Finding money is in and of itself a good thing for the person who found it and doesn't need to presage anything else. And considering it an "omen" is relying a bit too much on the jingle "Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck." Well, finding money puts you in a good mood and that good mood inevitably colors how you interact with others, approach your work, and react to your surroundings and experiences. IOW it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Except that is a corruption of the original version version which stated "Find a pin and pick it up..."

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 4:39 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Except that is a corruption of the original version version which stated "Find a pin and pick it up..."

What's so special about a pin?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 5:18 pm
One arguement is that it is extolling the virtues of thrift, similar to picking up a penny. Pre-industrialization pins were handmade and took a lot of time, thus were expensive. Good quality pins were hard to come by for the average person.

This is another explanation that I just found:

In the original version the phrase was “see a pin and pick it up and all day long you’ll have good luck,” this is a reference to a pagan (and now Wiccan) ritual in which a pin could be used in a good luck spell. The myth was that a dropped pin might have been used in such a spell and would provide good luck to the person who finds it.

The phrase “see a penny, pick it up…” was first used around the turn of the last century in America There are two possible explanations for the change, the most simple is a corruption of “pin and,” said with the correct accent could easily be mistaken for “penny.” The other explanation is that on American pennies the words “in God we trust” are printed on each one. The idea is that God sees you are having a bad time and drops a message in front of you telling you to trust him, quite a compelling message for those who believe in him.

Full 'lyrics'
See a pin and pick it up,
All the day you'll have good luck;
See a pin and let it lay,
Bad luck you'll have all the day.

See a pin, pick it up,
And all day you'll have good luck.
See a pin let it lay,
And your luck will pass away

See a pin, pick it up
Then you're sure to have good luck,
See a pin and let it lie
You're sure to need one afore you die

I'm sure that's more than anyone ever wanted to know about picking up pins or pennies!

professor

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 6:16 pm
If I see it I'll pick it up. But the chance of me noticing anything while I walk are slim. I'm usually deep in thought.

Brain: Sha! Do tell them about our intricate planning to take over the world

Me: I didn't say anything mu ha ha ha ha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics