Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Baby turned 2 and started climbing out crib
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:25 am
What do I do. Besides for waking at 5 am. He started climbing out. Last night he climbed out mid of night and was crying in a closet. I thought he was crying in his crib so I didn’t run to him thinking he would go back to sleep. I kept him in my bed rest of night , but I don’t know what to do . I worked so hard recently on sleep training him and we finally had it in order and now this . Any suggestions

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:32 am
Crib tent.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:47 am
Put him in a regular bed and reinforce staying in it.

trixx

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:20 am
Twin bed and teach him to stay in it.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:29 am
Toddler bed

mom!

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:35 am
I found that turning the crib around so the taller back part is in the front really helped. Somehow he stopped climbing out once we did that.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:49 am
Switch to a toddler bed so he can get back in himself. It’s dangerous IMO for them to be climbing in middle of the night. Crib tents are illegal for a reason.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:51 am
Toddler bed (or regular bed with a rail), baby-proof his room, and put a baby gate in his doorway.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:04 am
Either convert your crib to a toddler bed or put his mattress on the floor until you get a bed. It is dangerous for him to climb.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:44 am
Crib tents are illegal? He literally just turned two, he doesn’t understand to stay in bed , how do I do that. And if I put him in a toddler bed he’s foresure coming out at night. Last night he was crying in my linen closet, that’s at other end of house, he didn’t even walk out and come to my room... and he had his big brother in his room and didn’t go to him: so don’t know what to do

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:59 am
Duct tape?

There are pajamas made specifically to keep kids from climbing out of the crib. It keeps them from getting one leg over.

https://littlegrounders.com/
https://thepostpartumparty.com.....crib/
https://www.giddyupcycled.com/crib-hacks/
https://www.tearfreetravel.com.....acks/

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:11 am
Good luck to you. Mine has been doing it for months.
Will not stay in a bed at all
I ding bedtime much harder then mornings bec in the morning he just comes to my bed. At night I cannot get him to bed.

One thing that helped a lot is sewing a piece of ribbon between the legs of the sleeper so he can’t get it over the rail. And put on sleeper backward so he can’t take off.

Or I just sit next to his crib until he falls asleep and keep sticking his feet back in

finprof

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:18 am
Even a 2 year old can understand the need to stay in a bed, or at least in their room. All my kids switched to real beds at 1.5 because they climbed out of the crib and I never saw the point of spending $ on toddler beds. Just put a gate at the door or a knob cover. He will cry but that is life. Kids cry about every change but they adjust.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Crib tents are illegal? He literally just turned two, he doesn’t understand to stay in bed , how do I do that. And if I put him in a toddler bed he’s foresure coming out at night. Last night he was crying in my linen closet, that’s at other end of house, he didn’t even walk out and come to my room... and he had his big brother in his room and didn’t go to him: so don’t know what to do
Get a baby gate with a child proof latch system that your older kid can open but your younger one can’t. Make sure it closes automatically. And that the room is child proof.

As long as he’s locked in his room and his room is safe you will be fine. Crib tents are very dangerous. Google it.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:20 am
finprof wrote:
Even a 2 year old can understand the need to stay in a bed, or at least in their room. All my kids switched to real beds at 1.5 because they climbed out of the crib and I never saw the point of spending $ on toddler beds. Just put a gate at the door or a knob cover. He will cry but that is life. Kids cry about every change but they adjust.
Yes, the knob covers are a great idea too.

But my kids love the toddler bed at that age. It’s cozy and feels safe to them. A big bed is so giant for little ones.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:20 am
I use a sleep sack so that they can’t climb out. You can also get a handyman to add an extra level even lower for the mattress. Incidentally, I just came across this study on how kids do better sleeping in a crib until 3, so I’m for sure on the side of trying to find a way to keep him in the crib safely.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/.....05707

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:24 am
I’ve been dealing with this for over a year.
My toddler is now 2.5.
Nothing has worked.
I can’t put a gate in the doorway or any other “locking in mechanism”

I bought him a little kiddy couch that turns into a mattress which he sometimes sleeps on.
99% of the time he goes to sleep in my bed.
I then move him to his bed when I come to bed.
He’s usually back in my bed before the morning.

Randomly he’ll decide to go to sleep in his bed or he’ll stay in his bed till morning.
But I’ve just got used to the fact that he sleeps in my bed.

Sorry I have no tips or tricks.
It’s hard 🙈
You could be very strict with him and every time he comes out just put him back again and again (and again and again) but for me that never worked.
I’d do it 1000 times every night and he’d come right back out again.

Each kid is different. Maybe with yours it would work!
I wish you luck!!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:32 am
FYI, moved DD out of a crib right before she turned 2. She was verbal so that might make a difference. The rule was, you don’t act like a big girl in the big bed then you go back in the crib. (With great power comes great responsibility). We never had a problem. On the other hand, it may be because I never “sleep trained” my kids, and we don’t have a lot of arbitrary rules. I teach them to knock on my door, but I always let them in……

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:38 am
Everyone has great advice , my issue is not so much putting him to bed it’s the fear of him climbing out when he wakes up in middle of the night. Can anyone recommend a good gate for the door, bec my son has broken most gates. He is non verbal so maybe that’s why it’s harder for me to know what he understands.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone has great advice , my issue is not so much putting him to bed it’s the fear of him climbing out when he wakes up in middle of the night. Can anyone recommend a good gate for the door, bec my son has broken most gates. He is non verbal so maybe that’s why it’s harder for me to know what he understands.

I had such a thread a few months ago. Did all the research and tried almost everything. Here’s what worked for me

I switched out his doorknob to a closet door knob that has no lock on either side.
I then put on a kid door knob safety thingie.
So now if he climbs out he cannot leave his room. I made sure his room is completely safe. He has a box of books and a box of toys and a Sippie cup. So when he wakes up now, he plays nicely and safely until I get him.

https://www.target.com/p/safet.....03237
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics