Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Buying new sheitel. Need advice!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:43 am
I haven't bought a new sheitel in YEARS. For about 17 years (at least) I've been ordering synthetic wigs online. However, I need a change. The quality of that company is no longer what it used to be and after a few wearings the wigs feel gross (a wash doesn't help!)

I've been saving my money from a part time job, so I have about $1500-$2000 to spend. I'd love a weekday sheitel and also a nice one for simchas. If my budget can't cover both, then I just want to focus on the fancier one!

I live OOT, but I could get to Monsey or Lakewood

Where can I go that would fit my budget?
Also, what are latest styles (I'm looking for shoulder length or a bit longer)?

I hear a lot about lace wigs. Honestly, no clue what they are! But, seems they are controversial. Why is that? (Seriously, I'm so out of the sheitel-buying loop!)

Anything else I should know before I start looking around to buy?

Thank you!!

ineedalamborghi

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:07 am
Most likely $1500-2000 will only cover one wig (depends on length).
A lace wig will lay flatter on the head but is usually more expensive and higher maintenance.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:26 am
Your budget is not enough for a lace wig.
For more about the controversy listen to Halacha Headlines podcast on it- it does not seem to be an issue according to many rabbonim incl Rav Moshe.
I think you can get an Irene w your budget. I’ve been happy with mine. About $1800 for the length you want (I think)

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:41 am
If you can get to Boro Park you can get a Miri for under 2,000. It’s their cheaper line but some of them are very good quality. They are the opposite of whatever you read in the thread about snobby sheitel machers. They’ll give you as much time as you need and they don’t care what kind of pocketbook you walk in with. They’ll help you choose a wig that suits your face and your budget.
(I don’t work there and I don’t live in bp.)

otstud

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:44 am
Elisheva's in lakewood is fantastic. She sells non-processed hair and she does all her own repairs that may be needed. My sister got a shoulder length one for 800 and I got below shoulder for 1000.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:40 pm
And Elisheva is extremely sweet and understanding, too. Only the best experiences there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 5:15 pm
otstud wrote:
Elisheva's in lakewood is fantastic. She sells non-processed hair and she does all her own repairs that may be needed. My sister got a shoulder length one for 800 and I got below shoulder for 1000.

Oh, wow! Do the sheitels last a while?

otstud

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:52 pm
I just bought it 2 years ago, so far so good.

coloredleaves

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:54 pm
What is Elisheva's information? Like contact info? And spews she sell her own line? Or specific brands? Any idea if she does blondes well?

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:07 pm
I recently bought a Miri from a sheitel macher in crown heights. Very nice long wig not too pricey
Added lace front. Very happy with the whole process.

gande

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:18 pm
get one sheitel that could work for for both shabos and weekday. The style now now is no bangs and wavy or straight in whatever length you feel comfortable, very similar for both. you can style it fancier when you have a close simcha.

Bananas!

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:45 pm
I love my eve and cloe wig it’s the same price as Irene but much lighter and the hair is softer

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:11 am
Light blue- what store in boro park are you recommending for getting the Miri?

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:12 am
Gande- if no bangs, how is the front styled?

gande

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:52 am
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
Gande- if no bangs, how is the front styled?
Baby hair around the front to push the hair back and give shape and volume.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:29 am
coloredleaves wrote:
What is Elisheva's information? Like contact info? And spews she sell her own line? Or specific brands? Any idea if she does blondes well?

She's located in Lakewood and sells her own line
http://elishevawigs.com has all the contact info
She's great with all colors and can dye/highlight a wig in house.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:57 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
If you can get to Boro Park you can get a Miri for under 2,000. It’s their cheaper line but some of them are very good quality. They are the opposite of whatever you read in the thread about snobby sheitel machers. They’ll give you as much time as you need and they don’t care what kind of pocketbook you walk in with. They’ll help you choose a wig that suits your face and your budget.
(I don’t work there and I don’t live in bp.)

Do others agree about the friendliness of Miri?

Whos the best there for a cut?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels