Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Recipe for fruit compote please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:10 pm
I've never made a compote before, but I would love to try! I've got lots of plums, nectarines, peaches, kiwis, and pears. I can also buy some more fruit if it will compliment what I have. Can someone please tell me if these fruits work together, and how to cook it? I prefer not to add sugar. Thanks!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:18 pm
It doesn't really need a recipe. Cut up the fruit into chunks, add a little water on the bottom of the pot, cover and simmer it all over a medium low heat for about twenty minutes or half an hour.

Cinnamon or ginger can add an interesting flavour. Add honey or date syrup to taste if it needs sweetening.

Stone fruits go well together. I've never tried including kiwi. I would do the pear separately, maybe with apple, since the texture will be very different.

You can also put the fruit in a crockpot and leave for a couple of hours. This breaks down the fruit more slowly, and in my experience is often sweeter.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:18 pm
I would peel and slice the plums, nectarines, peaches pears without the kiwis. Cover fruits with water. I add a cup of sugar to an 8 qt. Pot of compote. Bring to boil and cook for 1 hour.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:26 pm
Thank you! So do I cover the fruits fully with water, or just place a little bit on the bottom?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:31 pm
I would say just a little bit on the bottom. As the fruit breaks down it releases it's own juice, and they cook in that.

That's why you want a low heat, so it doesn't all boil away. And keep the pot covered.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:48 am
Got it! Do you think I can add mango?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:54 am
Mango is very fibrous, and won't give such a great texture. Its also got a relatively low proportion of liquid. I wouldn't use it. If you do use it, I'd reccomend cutting it into small pieces first.

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:56 am
I put all those plus apples but no kiwi or mango in a 9 X13 pan cover with 2 cups of water and can add 1/2 c sugar but I skip that.

bake on 350 for 1 hr.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 9:56 am
You can do apples, peach, plum, nectarines, with a bit of cinnamon.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 10:26 am
I use my grandmother's famous "recipe". It's a base of apples and pears, then any fruit you have or like (I've made it with all those you mention - including kiwis. Not sure about mango though). The secret ingredients are some frozen blueberries for a gorgeous deep purple colour and several dried apricots - they really add to the taste.

Peel and chop all the fruit, add just a little water on the bottom and cook on low. No need to add any sugar, it's perfectly sweet on its own.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:38 pm
Thanks so much everyone!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:41 pm
How did it turn out?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 2:16 pm
Didn't do it yet, was waiting for the fruits to ripen completely. I think by tomorrow it should be perfect! Can't wait to try it!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 3:18 pm
Should probably start a spin off- but how do you make fruit soup?
Need it to be more watery than a compote

Best if can use frozen fruit
Really don’t want to peel pounds and pounds of fruit

For a crowd

Thank you!

geemum

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Didn't do it yet, was waiting for the fruits to ripen completely. I think by tomorrow it should be perfect! Can't wait to try it!

The fruit doesn't need to be fully ripe.
I peel the apples and pears, but leave the peel on the plums and nectarine.
Cut small cubes, water halfway up the fruit (we like the fruity sauce), lid on and stew on low til soft.
Freezes well
You can try different combinations: apple and peach, pear and plum, pear plum and nectarine etc

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:02 am
Oh my! It came out heavenly!!! And the delicious scent wafting through my house... mhhhhm! Thanks everyone!
I want to try another one with fresh apricots. Think I can leave the peels on?

raich

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:05 am
Yes, you can leave the peels on nectarines and peaches (and I assume apricots, too). They basically melt away into the compote.

I like to put a splash of grape juice on the bottom of the pot instead of water. Adds a delicious flavor. I also add a sprinkle of nutmeg and allspice along with the cinnamon and the flavor profile gets oomphed up a notch.

The last time I made it I zhuzzhed the whole pot up with an immersion blender and I think I liked it even better than chunky.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:14 am
That's exactly what I did actually! A little bit of grape juice and a dash of cinnamon. I also added a small drop of elderberry. It was incredible!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking