Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp kol torah packing question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:41 pm
Just got the packing list..... (my ds is in 8th grade)
do the boys really not bring their own pillows and blankets?
only 4-6 pants for davening and sports? or 4-6 of each type?
only 2 tzitzis? what if using undershirt tzitzis?
does he really need shoes for davening, he can't wear his sneakers?
can he really not bring a folding chair?
thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:46 pm
I'm trying to remember, I think my son brought an extra pillow and maybe a thin blanket but they do have iirc.
No folding chairs.
We did bring more pants but I like my sons to change more frequently. They wear dress/school pants for davening and learning and then switch to athletic. They probably brought like 6-8 of each.
We use regular tzitzis so we just had 1 spare and enough undershirts to change every day until laundry. I think my son wore sneakers at that age for davening. Once they're in mesivta, they have Yeshiva shoes they wear.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 4:35 pm
thank you so much for responding. do you remember if the blankets need a blanket cover, or just send a top sheet? (are they gross? that is what my son is worried about...I am happy for they lighter packing situation)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 4:51 pm
I'm going to try to remember to ask one of my boys when I speak to them next.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:34 pm
another question....how many weekday white shirts?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:27 pm
My son said to bring pillow and blanket, they only had 1 set in his room one of the years he was there.

White shirts you only need a few since they only wear them for davening and learning and switch out. Many put them on top of their regular sports shirt if I remember correctly. Didn't see this question before I spoke with my son. If he tells me differently on my next call with him, I'll post back.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 5:39 am
He confirmed. Said a lot of boys leave their white shirt in the Beis Medrash and just put it over the other shirt. If not, your son is only wearing it for a bit and then he'll change, so he just needs a few. No sweaty activities in them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 6:34 pm
thanks for the replies.
so one white shirt per week? or 2?

also, are the beds "camp size". I know it is a dorm, so just wondering if I should get camp size sheets or stick with the twin size.

if they switch from school pants to sports pants, do they leave the nicer pants in the beis medrash as well like the shirts?

any other tips? I am so nervous

benny

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:01 pm
According to my son the blankets are hit or miss. Can get a good one or a gross one. He brings his own. Can wear sneakers do davening. White shirts get left in beis medrash and worn over T-shirt. He can wear sports pants to davening. If he wants to wear dress pants to daven they change after learning so don’t have to change every other day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:52 pm
thanks, benny. he can wear sports pants with white stripes to davening? he'll be happy! and after 8th grade he can wear sneakers to daven?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 2:25 am
Yes and yes

My son brought 3 pairs of regular pants besides the sports pants but he basically lived in the sports pants even with the stripes.

benny

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 5:07 am
My son says the older kids where dress pants and white shirts more. Maybe they learn longer part of the day? Not sure. But 8th grade he said for sure don’t worry about it

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 6:35 am
Right, my son said coming out of 8th is the same "dress code" as going into 8th. Once a boy has been in mesivta, it changes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 6:50 am
so silly, but I feel such relief from these answers LOL
My son doesn't like wearing loafers if he doesn't have to and I really didn't want to get new ones just for camp.

What is the set up for the dorm? do they have shelves, hanging space, drawers.....should I send a shower caddy, containers for clothing, or anything else specifically?

again, all tips appreciated

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 1:41 pm
We didn't send in organization things. Pretty sure they had cubbies/hanging space.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 5:47 pm
so I told my ds your that I asked some other kol torah mothers these questions, and he was so skeptical and kept asking how I know the mothers since no one where we live sends to kol torah. Laugh Laugh

He asked me to double check about the shoes. It kind of makes me laugh since he really doesn't want to wear loafers, but he also wants to make sure that he will be like the majority of his friends. Anyways.....triple checking.... LOL

anyone have an answer about the bed size?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:50 pm
We only have twin linen so that's what my son brought.

My son absolutely did not wear loafers coming out of 8th. He saved them for Yeshiva.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:38 am
I dont know why we are getting so bogged down with these silly things, thanks for the help....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 9:59 am
more questions....

do you send your son a mattress pad/topper? what type?

Do boys take food? is there hot water available if he wants to bring noodle soups and cocoa? what food to send? gaterade? or just rely on canteen and dining room?

do the boys bring a robe (it is on the list)? if so, what type?

he is still back and forth about the loafers and blanket, any more insights?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
more questions....

do you send your son a mattress pad/topper? what type?

Do boys take food? is there hot water available if he wants to bring noodle soups and cocoa? what food to send? gaterade? or just rely on canteen and dining room?

do the boys bring a robe (it is on the list)? if so, what type?

he is still back and forth about the loafers and blanket, any more insights?

Same question here …
Following
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps