Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthy lunch ideas
Previous  1  2

Scotty

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Recipe? What type of kasha (whole kernel, fine or medium ground) ?

Buy Wolff brand kasha (I am not sure the Bobs toasts their buckwheat, which is a crucial part of the flavor and a bother to do yourself.)

The granulation “type” depends on what texture you prefer.

Fine: makes a very very unified, smooth, almost farina like porridge. You can pour into a cup, pour hot water over (More than you think; kasha absorbs a ton of water), stir, cover for five minutes. Mix in butter if desired, salt, milk. People use this for kasha varnishkes because it’s so fine it coats the noodles like a sauce instead of being visible grains. Not my favorite but many people like it. Best for babies too.

Medium: my kids’ favorite. Still smooth enough to cook instantly in a mug as above, but more of a heft to the mouthful. Kid of like quinoa in mouthfeel. It is also fine enough that if you prefer, you can mix into a lot of milk or milk substitute and drink as a wholesome, warm, savory “smoothie” on the run.

Coarse: personally my favorite, but you need to cook in a pot (mix with water, medium flame, stir, don’t burn. Use lots of water as kasha EXPANDS.) great “mouthfeel” to me. Kind of like tabouli in mouthfeel.

Whole: people use this for use in soup like croutons. Strong grain like mouthful. Must be cooked in pot. If you have never tasted kasha before don’t start with this granulation. Doesn’t hold butter as well (an important consideration with some kids lol). Kind of like wild rice-ish in mouthfeel (discrete grains, not homogenous.)

I would say try medium and then experiment!

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:40 am
dankbar wrote:

Hungarian cheese salad
Sugar snap pea salad

Recipes, please!

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:59 am
Scotty wrote:
Buy Wolff brand kasha (I am not sure the Bobs toasts their buckwheat, which is a crucial part of the flavor and a bother to do yourself.)

The granulation “type” depends on what texture you prefer.

Fine: makes a very very unified, smooth, almost farina like porridge. You can pour into a cup, pour hot water over (More than you think; kasha absorbs a ton of water), stir, cover for five minutes. Mix in butter if desired, salt, milk. People use this for kasha varnishkes because it’s so fine it coats the noodles like a sauce instead of being visible grains. Not my favorite but many people like it. Best for babies too.

Medium: my kids’ favorite. Still smooth enough to cook instantly in a mug as above, but more of a heft to the mouthful. Kid of like quinoa in mouthfeel. It is also fine enough that if you prefer, you can mix into a lot of milk or milk substitute and drink as a wholesome, warm, savory “smoothie” on the run.

Coarse: personally my favorite, but you need to cook in a pot (mix with water, medium flame, stir, don’t burn. Use lots of water as kasha EXPANDS.) great “mouthfeel” to me. Kind of like tabouli in mouthfeel.

Whole: people use this for use in soup like croutons. Strong grain like mouthful. Must be cooked in pot. If you have never tasted kasha before don’t start with this granulation. Doesn’t hold butter as well (an important consideration with some kids lol). Kind of like wild rice-ish in mouthfeel (discrete grains, not homogenous.)

I would say try medium and then experiment!

Actually, when we usually make kasha I make it using the whole grain since my kids don't like the mushy texture as much, like oatmeal they prefer steel cut oats to quick oats. I have only made kasha when serving with a fleishig meal. I saute an onion and sometimes mushrooms too, then toast the kashe in the pot for a few minutes, and add water and cook. When ready I combine it with cooked noodles.

The idea of making it milchig as a breakfast food, and an alternative to oatmeal, sounds like something I should try. I was wondering the kasha:milk:water ratio, and if the milk was added after it was cooked, or combined beforehand with the water. We have a surplus of milk here due to the federal covid - 19 food program Wink and this may be a great way to consume more milk!

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:35 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Recipes, please!

Hungarian cheese
Farmer cheese mixed with sour cream, & paprika ( garlic powder/or white pepper optional) you can also add in purple onions or scallions if you like.
Eat with melba toast. I also like to eat it with tomatoes, sour pickles.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:37 pm
Sugar snap pea salad
I saute canned mushrooms with a little fresh garlic, salt & pepper.
Add to a salad of purple cabbage, grape tomatoes & fresh sugar snap peas

imanotmommy

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:56 pm
Prepare a few servings of a grain (quinoa, brown rice) and store it in the fridge.
Each day you can add different veggies and protein Toppings.
If you keep it pareve, you have more options (Feta one day and turkey cubes the next)
The Toppings can come from a can (corn, beans, hearts of palm, Tuna), or be leftovers (grilled chicken, salmon, roasted veggies), or. Fresh, depending how much time you have and what you like.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:06 pm
I am a huge fan of burritos. They can be made large or small. Fresh or frozen for convenience. Milchig or fleshing or parve. Any combination of pretty much anything you want. I make rice and bean burritos for the freezer, breakfast burritos with eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, and avocado I like fresh (though I'll also make several days worth and keep them in the fridge), the kids love beans and cheese with lettuce. The options are endless.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:10 pm
dankbar wrote:
Sugar snap pea salad
I saute canned mushrooms with a little fresh garlic, salt & pepper.
Add to a salad of purple cabbage, grape tomatoes & fresh sugar snap peas

Sounds delicious and different then a typical salad. I think I will save this recipe for Shabbos & Yom Tov! What dressing do you use?

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:15 pm
dankbar wrote:
Hungarian cheese
Farmer cheese mixed with sour cream, & paprika ( garlic powder/or white pepper optional) you can also add in purple onions or scallions if you like.
Eat with melba toast. I also like to eat it with tomatoes, sour pickles.

I never tasted this before. Can you give approximate measurements of all the ingredients, or at least the ratio of farmers cheese and sour cream?

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:18 pm
Today I had rice cakes with a slice of reduced fat cheese, a small salad using pre checked lettuce and some grape tomatoes, fat free yogurt and some grapes.
Later I’ll probably have a coffee and a granola bar.

I eat a filling breakfast and supper so I try not to eat too much for lunch.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics