Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet Training - Tomorrow is the day, finally!
1  2  Next

meeze

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:02 pm
I need all your help and input.
I chose tomorrow to start causemy toddler has a week off till he starts daycamp.

What tips can u offer that will make him go and minimize the accidents? Of course he'll have some accidents that's expected, but how can I make this a smooth transition for both?
Obviously I'll be home for 3-4 days to have access to his potty, but I'm still dreading this whole thing cause of the unexpected tantrums he'll have (and accidents).
One second he wants to go, and the other minute he could really be nasty and I'll have to force him to go. (Very moody lately).

Please, help me out here so I won't be so lost tomorrow. Thanks

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:05 pm
How old is he? Are you sure the day camp is open to such a newly trained kid? Many day camps don’t want to deal with that, plus many spend a lot of time outdoors, far from the nearest bathroom.

This might be something to consider before deciding to do this at this time.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:05 pm
Daycamp aside, has he shown interest or readiness? Cuz when they do, there’s not much for you to do

meeze

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
How old is he? Are you sure the day camp is open to such a newly trained kid? Many day camps don’t want to deal with that, plus many spend a lot of time outdoors, far from the nearest bathroom.

This might be something to consider before deciding to do this at this time.

Almost 3. The morah said they will help me continue the training if I start now.

meeze

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Daycamp aside, has he shown interest or readiness? Cuz when they do, there’s not much for you to do
Yes.

missmuffetsmum

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:14 pm
Following! We're starting on Monday Smile

writeread

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:24 pm
Best of luck!

bsy

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:50 pm
I hope to start soon too. Following!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:00 pm
To train him the goal should be he should use the toilet 4 times in a row. Give him a bottle to drink and let him play with water in the bathroom for like 10 minutes while keeping an eye on him to see if he needs to go, then put him on the toilet and wait a few minutes to let him release. If he didn’t, repeat the process with the bottle, play with water etc. keep an eye to make sure he doesn’t make accidents put him on the toilet again. After he released in toilet 4 times in a row he will already know what he’s supposed to do.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:01 pm
If it doesn’t work that’s because he’s possibly not ready yet

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:05 pm
Have a Potty Training book.

Optional - it's nice to have a doll who "drinks" from a bottle and "makes".

Get favorite treat - something small - like jelly beans.

Give drinks so that he gets plenty of practice.

Hatzlochah!

artz

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:41 am
I just trained my dd who just turned 3 in the beginning I put on a timer set for every 10 min and when the timer rang we went to go sit on the toilet we sat for like 2 min until she got the concept. Every time she sat on the toilet but didnt go I gave her a chocolate chip and if she went she got a bigger candy. She loved being able to turn off the timer. I also gave her box drinks to drink (which is a treat for her) She had a few accidents the first day but all in all she is doing good

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:43 am
artz wrote:
I just trained my dd who just turned 3 in the beginning I put on a timer set for every 10 min and when the timer rang we went to go sit on the toilet we sat for like 2 min until she got the concept. Every time she sat on the toilet but didnt go I gave her a chocolate chip and if she went she got a bigger candy. She loved being able to turn off the timer. I also gave her box drinks to drink (which is a treat for her) She had a few accidents the first day but all in all she is doing good

This is exactly how I remember being potty trained. Special drinks as rewards, that in turn made me have to go again--win win.

meeze

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:45 am
So I already started today after his morning bottle.
I made him a sticker chart. He was very excited about it.
I started giving him drinks sonhe has what to practice with.
So, so far, 2 accidents.
He sits witb me in the bathroom with books every 15-20 minutes. But doesnt make. He will sit then say, no more.
A minute after wards, he will make on the floor. Also I took off his underwear so he can see what happens when it goes on the floor.
Is it normal for me to start getting frustrated?(obviously I dont show it, but later I like take a deep breath!)

How long will it take for him to get the hang of it so he only makes in the potty?

dena613

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:49 am
Is this your first?
Sounds like it!!

It can take WEEKS!!!

And yes, it is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

Most kids do not get toilet trained within a week and make no accidents thereafter.

If your kid is unique and will be done in days, be grateful. That is not typical at all

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:56 am
dena613 wrote:
Is this your first?
Sounds like it!!

It can take WEEKS!!!

And yes, it is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

Most kids do not get toilet trained within a week and make no accidents thereafter.

If your kid is unique and will be done in days, be grateful. That is not typical at all

If your kid is really ready, it's very typical for it to be fast. Even instant. These days there's so much pressure from preschools and such to do it before the child is truly ready.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:17 am
meeze wrote:
So I already started today after his morning bottle.
I made him a sticker chart. He was very excited about it.
I started giving him drinks sonhe has what to practice with.
So, so far, 2 accidents.
He sits witb me in the bathroom with books every 15-20 minutes. But doesnt make. He will sit then say, no more.
A minute after wards, he will make on the floor. Also I took off his underwear so he can see what happens when it goes on the floor.
Is it normal for me to start getting frustrated?(obviously I dont show it, but later I like take a deep breath!)

How long will it take for him to get the hang of it so he only makes in the potty?

This is very normal for day 1! Even if a kid is ready and understands, the 1st day is not smooth sailing.

Just keep to it and he will catch on soon enough iyh! Lots of luck!

meeze

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:03 pm
Now after 3 accidents, I got him to sit on the big toilet with an insert seat and step stool. I saw that the potty was not too comfortable for him. Also he needed to be more relaxed. I started telling him a story without a book and counting on his fingers till number 10 and talking very calmly, sitting near him on a stool. And then, he finally for the first time made! He was quite surprised himself!
I was really happy to see that finally something clicked and he got the message.
After that, of course another accident 1/2 hour later but it was already with some conscious involved; he came telling me he made on the porch. Usually, he doesn't tell me.
Hopefully, it will get easier. Ye?

Also, now for nap time, with bottle and pamper. Cause its like night for him. No controll yet when he is sleeping.

Also, am I doing right by having him without underpants? Or its better for him to feel some wetness if he makes in his pants?

Thanks. I could really use more encouragement and tips.

meeze

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:25 pm
Bh, after 4 accidents, he came running in from the porch to go on his own. He said he needed to make.
Then, after supper, I made him sit again on the toilet and read a very relaxing book to him about potty training and made the pushing sounds as if I myself needed #2. And of course, he wanted to leave the toilet cause he doesnt need anymore but I new he is holding it in cause he was afraid to make #2. I encouraged him again to stay and he made #2!
He was so shocked that is left his body he was looking inside the toilet bowl to find what happened and where it went. He said "kik, the cake is doo" (sorry, tmi!) Was too funny!

After that, again every 10-12 minutes I say, "ok, toilet time!"

Bh I'm patting myself on the back that I was very on top of his timing in bathroom and the info clicked in his head again and again until he told me himself he needs to go.

Praying for another good day tomorrow, iy"h. Should go smoothly.

P.s. my hardest part today was for him to beg me to go downstairs with the neighbor's to play and I couldn't take him cause we're in TRAINING MODE!
I felt so bad for him!

How else can I keep him occupied till friday indoors?

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:18 pm
How are you doing?
I could use some encouragement myself today.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics