Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eye prophylaxis for newborn?

honey36

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:50 am
Expecting a new baby any day now. I know they offer the vitamin k shot and the eye prophylaxis given to the baby basically right after birth (this is in Canada, not sure about the states)

I remember hearing the eye prophylaxis is only necessary if there is a suspicion of STDs which wouldn't apply to us. But when I tried to refuse it with my previous baby, the doctor at the hospital basically made us get it anyways.

I asked my pediatrician and he said we can get it if we want or refuse if we want.

I'm still not very clear about the purpose of it? Should we try hard to refuse it bec. It's totally unecesary, or does it have a purpose even without a risk of STDs? Anyone have any more info about it?

If you also have more info about the purpose of the vitamin k injection, even though that well likely get it, but curious if it's really necessary?

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:54 am
honey36 wrote:
Expecting a new baby any day now. I know they offer the vitamin k shot and the eye prophylaxis given to the baby basically right after birth (this is in Canada, not sure about the states)

I remember hearing the eye prophylaxis is only necessary if there is a suspicion of STDs which wouldn't apply to us. But when I tried to refuse it with my previous baby, the doctor at the hospital basically made us get it anyways.

I asked my pediatrician and he said we can get it if we want or refuse if we want.

I'm still not very clear about the purpose of it? Should we try hard to refuse it bec. It's totally unecesary, or does it have a purpose even without a risk of STDs? Anyone have any more info about it?

If you also have more info about the purpose of the vitamin k injection, even though that well likely get it, but curious if it's really necessary?

Vit K is because the baby's body doesn't naturally do blood clotting until pretty much the eighth day (hence the logic of bris milah timing). If ch"v there is a brain bleed, which has happened, it could be very bad.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:56 am
It prevents conjunctivitis from a bunch of different bacteria. Some are STDs, but others are just normal bacteria that live in your v-gina. Newborn conjunctivitis is much more serious than that in adults and can cause blindness. It’s probably less important if you are having a scheduled c-section. Here’s some more info:

https://childrensmd.org/browse.....ment/

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:01 am
I wouldn’t refuse either. They are both necessary.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:17 am
I've refused both. They may ask you to sign a waiver but I doubt they can legally force you to do it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:29 am
I thought the Hepatitis Vaccine was for STDs. This is the only vaccine our ped will let you skip.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:59 am
Neither is necessary. Refuse whatever you can. Research research research

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:

Lol paranoid much?

Op: unless you have a valid reason to refuse, you need to trust Your doctors, their expertise and their recommendations. Of course do your research, but there’s no reason to START from a place of refusal.

honey36

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:18 am
mha3484 wrote:
I thought the Hepatitis Vaccine was for STDs. This is the only vaccine our ped will let you skip.

Neither are vaccines. Ones any eye ointment they wipe on eyes after birth, and ones an injection, but not a vaccine.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:

My kids got both the eye drops and vitamin K shots at birth, and they all grew extra thumbs!

It's true, just read my blog about natural parenting. It's sponsored by doctors who only eat air and cleanse their livers 3 times a day. Tongue Out

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:19 am
I felt neither was necessary as the risk is miniscule and so I declined both for my baby (in the USA).
Both the eye treatment and the vit k shot are not things you'd wanna give for no reason (vit k actually has a black box warning.)
Like a previous poster said, do your research. I can send more specific info/research if you're interested.
Also, if the vit k concerns you but you don't want to do the shot, find out about the vit k drops which are supposed to be a little better.

honey36

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:20 am
challahchallah wrote:
It prevents conjunctivitis from a bunch of different bacteria. Some are STDs, but others are just normal bacteria that live in your v-gina. Newborn conjunctivitis is much more serious than that in adults and can cause blindness. It’s probably less important if you are having a scheduled c-section. Here’s some more info:

https://childrensmd.org/browse.....ment/

Thank you. This article explained it fairly well. If anyone has any more info about the pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not great at doing my own research. I usually just trust my pediatrician, but he said it's our choice...

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:23 am
honey36 wrote:
Neither are vaccines. Ones any eye ointment they wipe on eyes after birth, and ones an injection, but not a vaccine.

True, vit k is not a vaccine but it's not either just vit k, it's an entire mix of stuff in there.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:24 am
mha3484 wrote:

The hep b is, and it's not the only vaccine for an std (gardasil is also).

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
I felt neither was necessary as the risk is miniscule and so I declined both for my baby (in the USA).
Both the eye treatment and the vit k shot are not things you'd wanna give for no reason (vit k actually has a black box warning.)
Like a previous poster said, do your research. I can send more specific info/research if you're interested.
Also, if the vit k concerns you but you don't want to do the shot, find out about the vit k drops which are supposed to be a little better.

A little information is a dangerous thing.

While there are nearly 4 million births in the United States each year, and almost all of them get a vitamin K shot very soon after they are born, there has never been a report of anaphylaxis in the United States. In fact, there has been ONE report in the world, and its questionable whether it related to Vitamin K.

The warning relates to patients given a large dose of vitamin K too rapidly through an IV. This type of dose would usually be given to patients with significant bleeding who were being treated with anticoagulants (anticoagulant reversal).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics