Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
No self-gas in NJ, tipping the ppl

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:24 pm
Are you supposed to tip the people who fill your car with gas in NJ? And... why can't I do it myself??

GrowingUp

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:32 pm
It’s a nice gesture, most people don’t.

I try to tip the attendants in the gas station at the end of my block. I go there often and usually meet the same few attendant. They’re always so appreciative. I usually give $2-3.

As for why you can’t pump your own gas, What Scratching Head

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you supposed to tip the people who fill your car with gas in NJ? And... why can't I do it myself??

No tipping. It's illegal to fill your tank by yourself in NJ.

Here's Why Some Places In The U.S. Still Won't Let You Pump Your Own Gas

Justin T. Westbrook
4/15/21 7:18PM
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why.....94716

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:39 pm
Ok I thought tipping is standard and if you don't it's a chilul Hashem. Like tbh I can't afford to tip every time I get gas just because I'm not allowed to pump it myself What Thanks

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I thought tipping is standard and if you don't it's a chilul Hashem. Like tbh I can't afford to tip every time I get gas just because I'm not allowed to pump it myself What Thanks

I have never tipped nor have I ever seen anyone in the surrounding cars tip (since most pay via card or app an additional transfer of cash would be noticeable)

I'm pretty friendly with the local attendants and never got the feeling that they were expecting a tip.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:43 pm
I'm a tipper in general but I wouldn't tip in a state where there was no option to fill oneself unless like GrowingUP, I frequented the same gas station and had developed a relationship with the guys. It's like tipping the staff in my building generously because it's a nice gesture and the money makes a difference in their life.

I am in California and by law they must fill your tank if you are disabled - not sure of how you provide proof. In that situation I would definitely tip since someone is providing a service they don't ordinarily provide.

Batsheva1

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 5:19 pm
There is no tipping for gas in NJ. It's unheard of.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 5:29 pm
If I fill up in NJ and I have a dollar or two cash on me I tip. Why not I think it’s just nice he did me a favor. But I don’t always.

As for why I can’t pump myself, well it’s a pain, so much easier to pull up and let them do it for yoh lol.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:01 pm
I actually live in NJ and it's not a thing. You don't tip the guys. You can, but I've never seen a single person do it.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:05 pm
DH always tipped $1 in NJ

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:06 pm
Not a thing

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:51 pm
Grew up in NJ still live here. Don't tip. Never crossed my mind. But then again. I mostly get my gas at Costco. Good service and same price cash or credit. Often same or lower than other cash prices.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/ar.....ersey

According to this:

Enacted in 1949, the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations banned drivers from pumping their own gas in New Jersey, and the rules are still in effect. Like so many laws, the statute claims the ban is for drivers’ own good:

Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
DH always tipped $1 in NJ

I do the same.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:00 pm
live here and never heard of it. Besides, gas is so expensive these days... in addition we probably all have tremendous financial obligations in our lives....let’s not add to it

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:07 pm
I always tip a dollar or two.

simcha2

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:51 pm
I tip if it's weather when I wouldn't want to pump my own gas; freezing cold, pouring rain, heatwave.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:11 pm
I always tip $1, I keep dollar bills in the drawer in my van for that reason. And you cant fill up on your own because its illegal in NJ
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries