Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
One more lace top thread sorry
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

If you wear a lace top wigs, what is your rational?
My rav says its ok  
 35%  [ 28 ]
I never asked a rav, I do what I want  
 26%  [ 21 ]
Everyone around me wears one (including my teachers and rebetzin) so I'm assuming it's fine  
 8%  [ 7 ]
I already have one and it would be a waste of $ to get rid of it  
 7%  [ 6 ]
Be happy my hair is even covered  
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 80

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:09 pm
I have a lace top wig..it's not see through like some said it is. It happens to be very comfortable but..mine does not look like the ones on Instagram..It looks like a wig..a lace top wig..but everyone knows I'm wearing a wig.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:32 pm
I was thinking of the many lace top etc threads while reading a book of memoirs by Gutta Sternbuch about pre war Poland, attending the BY seminary in Krakow, etc.
She stated straight out that many religious women in Krakow did not cover their hair at that time.
Surely we can admit that a lace top is preferable to no covering. Let's give the women of our generation some credit for doing their personal best to follow a mitzvah that admittedly is not super easy (of course this is not to speak badly of that generation of women that she referred to, they were righteous women who simply didn't know better for whatever reason).

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:36 pm
I would like to point out that MANY rabbanim hold there is NOTHING wrong with lace tops. There are a few who are being loud about their shita. Let’s remember that before we start judging people.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I would like to point out that MANY rabbanim hold there is NOTHING wrong with lace tops. There are a few who are being loud about their shita. Let’s remember that before we start judging people.

Can you please restate this in a more respectful way? Thank you.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:57 pm
This all reminds me of about 10 or so years ago. There was this big "internet asifa" thing to make the internet assur. (This was about the time when the yeshivish/chassidish communities "discovered" the internet)

At that time we lived in a neighborhood that was much more "right wing" than we are on the religious "spectrum". My children were getting taunted and harassed by the neighborhood kids because my husband was the only man in the neighborhood not attending the asifa. They said "all the rabbanim" say you MUST go.

The other side of the story:
My husband actually called up his Rebbi who we had a very strong connection with who told him not to go. His words were: "It's not for you" He was following our Daas Torah.
(We moved out of that neighborhood a couple years after that)

So when anyone says "all the rabbanim say it" I take it with a very hefty dash of salt. Certain members of more insular right wing communities are like those children. They are unaware of the breadth and nuance that is Jewish Law. It's their way or the "highway".

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:09 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I was thinking of the many lace top etc threads while reading a book of memoirs by Gutta Sternbuch about pre war Poland, attending the BY seminary in Krakow, etc.
She stated straight out that many religious women in Krakow did not cover their hair at that time.
Surely we can admit that a lace top is preferable to no covering. Let's give the women of our generation some credit for doing their personal best to follow a mitzvah that admittedly is not super easy (of course this is not to speak badly of that generation of women that she referred to, they were righteous women who simply didn't know better for whatever reason).

In Germany and Russia there were enactments that forbade covering hair.
Heard Rebbetzin tarshish talk about city of Lubavitch and rabbi salmon Rafael hirsch arriving in Germany and no one covering.
My grandmother stopped covering after arriving in America but eventually their rav convinced her to cover again.
In many cases it wasn’t rebelling against covering.
It was governmental pressure or lack of knowledge.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels