Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kids giving me hard time with bedtime - post surgery for DH

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:15 pm
I am losing my mind! Kids are ages 2, 5, and 7. Husband can’t be mobile for at least a week. So he stays downstairs and I’m upstairs putting them all to bed. No one is listening, they keep coming out. It’s 9:15 and only 2 year old is sleeping. I bought them donuts tonight as a treat, trying so hard and nothing working. Any ideas? I can’t go on like this

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:20 pm
I'm guessing donuts at night isn't helpful.

I'm having the hardest time now that it's so bright still at like 820!?? I like to get the room dark and put on a nice long story. Fischel shachter, shmuel kinda, etc. I make it loud enough that no one thinks they can't hear. Sometimes I'll put on a shiur also, usually by our rav so it's a familiar and comforting voice to them.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:27 pm
Put the 2 year old to bed first, then the 5 and 7 year olds together.
If you can, try to put the 2 year old to bed an hour before so he/she is sleeping nicely by the time you have to put the other down.
Make a routine. Read a book and give a toy in bed.
When they come out of bed just put them back without talking.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No one is listening, they keep coming out.

Coming out of where - their beds or their room?

Are they reacting to the fact that their dad is dealing with medical stuff? Sometimes if kids are worried, they will act up more than usual. If you think that might be it, letting them say good night to him and seeing that he still loves them and is there may help (especially if he's the one who usually does bedtime).

If they are acting out because it's usually a two person job and they figure they can get away with more with only one of you involved, you can try putting them all in bed and then sit on a chair in their room in a way that blocks their doorway (so that they can't leave the room). Then either sing to them or read to them, if those things usually calm them down.

Otherwise just sit there with your own book and whenever they pop out of bed just give them a look and point to their bed (as in, no discussion, this is where you belong).

Hug

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
I'm guessing donuts at night isn't helpful.

I'm having the hardest time now that it's so bright still at like 820!?? I like to get the room dark and put on a nice long story. Fischel shachter, shmuel kinda, etc. I make it loud enough that no one thinks they can't hear. Sometimes I'll put on a shiur also, usually by our rav so it's a familiar and comforting voice to them.

I like the story tape idea, thank you!
Agree - donuts wasn’t so smart before bed

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Put the 2 year old to bed first, then the 5 and 7 year olds together.
If you can, try to put the 2 year old to bed an hour before so he/she is sleeping nicely by the time you have to put the other down.
Make a routine. Read a book and give a toy in bed.
When they come out of bed just put them back without talking.

I like this - routine! That’s probably key

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:58 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Coming out of where - their beds or their room?

Are they reacting to the fact that their dad is dealing with medical stuff? Sometimes if kids are worried, they will act up more than usual. If you think that might be it, letting them say good night to him and seeing that he still loves them and is there may help (especially if he's the one who usually does bedtime).

If they are acting out because it's usually a two person job and they figure they can get away with more with only one of you involved, you can try putting them all in bed and then sit on a chair in their room in a way that blocks their doorway (so that they can't leave the room). Then either sing to them or read to them, if those things usually calm them down.

Otherwise just sit there with your own book and whenever they pop out of bed just give them a look and point to their bed (as in, no discussion, this is where you belong).

Hug

I don’t think they’re too worried, they see him and talk to him....

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 1:30 am
What do you use to play these stories on? A CD player?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:45 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
What do you use to play these stories on? A CD player?

Jewishmusicfm app on my phone connected to a Bluetooth speaker in their room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics