Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What time do your adhd kids go to sleep?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:27 pm
My first grade daughter is still up puttering around in her bedroom. Her meds officially wear off around 5pm. She was up till 11 last night until I literally lied next to her bed and she fell asleep. The morning was okay she made it on time but this is not normal......

She’s on the smallest dose and Bh she’s doing well so I’m hesitant to change.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:34 pm
Oddly enough, my one ADHD DC is my best and soundest sleeper. Earliest to bed and latest to rise, without any medication.

DH has ADHD too, and is also unmedicated. He goes to sleep relatively early, between 9:30 and 11:00 usually.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:44 pm
Mine goes to sleep late. Sometimes melatonin helps (speak to your dr). No screen time near bed time. Wear them out with exercise. No sugar within a few hours of bedtime.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:24 am
My 8 year old adhd child doesn’t fall asleep till 10. Bedtime is earlier so he is in his room reading , playing ...till about 10.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:35 am
Bumping up for the morning crowd.

At around 1045 last my daughter asked me ly in bed with her. I did and she fell asleep within 5 minutes. I wonder if I had lyed down with her at 9:30 she would have fallen asleep so fast as well. I have no intention of lying down with her every night till she falls asleep though...

There are tons of ADHD threads. I wonder how common this problem is...

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:39 am
Mine fall asleep a half an hour after they take their melatonin. Talk to your pediatrician about it.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:41 am
No medication
She knows she has to stay in her room, and depending on the night it’ll take her a half hour or 2-3 hours. Sometimes she does her homework or reads or does other stuff in her room.
Little one is fine as long as he doesn’t nap. If naps then… there’s hell to pay.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 10:04 am
My daughter has ADHD, is on Adderal, 11 years old. Falls asleep around 10:30. How long has she been on meds? I also supplement with Zahlers vitamins kids active. Has magnesium. Also give her melatonin.

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 10:14 am
My 6 year old is on ritalin. His bedtime is 7:30. He's not consistent. Most nights he falls asleep quickly but about once or twice a week it can take him an hour or 2 to fall asleep. I wonder why that happens.

gama

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:20 am
7 year old is currently not on any medications (trying to avoid the stimulants and so far, the other options are minimally helpful but causing semi-major side effects).
Regardless, I find that she has a difficulty falling asleep without melatonin. Based upon doctor advice, she takes melatonin every night. She is now also taking magnesium. They seem to help because without melatonin, she will simply not fall asleep - I find her up 2 - 3 hours after she gets into bed.
But even with melatonin, I find that if I lay with her, she is quicker to fall asleep then if I leave her in her room alone. So when I know that she is overtired, I will allow her to read or play in bed for half an hour, and then I will join her.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:27 am
My 10yo dd uses daytrana patches (20mg). Her bedtime is 9:30. Sometimes she is asleep by 10, sometimes she is up most of the night. Our doctor recommended melatonin and/or Benadryl, both of which seem to help. We have also found that music is a big help.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:35 am
Very common for kids (people) with ADHD to have a hard time falling asleep.

My brothers took ages to fall asleep. I personally have a hard time winding down and my 5 year old son takes an average of 2 hours to fall asleep.

Would love tips if anyone has...

p.s. I also find that when I lay in bed with him he falls asleep muchh faster - but its not practical on a regular basis.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:40 am
My daughter never had any issue falling asleep at night. We started meds around a month ago and she started having problems falling asleep.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:57 am
He doesn't sleep. He can be up for the whole night literally. Melatonin and Benadryl don't help.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:02 pm
We have been using melatonin for 2 years. It helps her fall asleep within 30 minutes. We use a non stimulant medication for her adhd. The goal is 830/9. She is 10. But she often wakes up at least once a night, to use the bathroom or because of a noise. She is sensitive to sound. Next year I plan to make bedtime 9/930 since my younger children are getting older as well.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:55 pm
My child would be up all night without melatonin. His doc is fine with it and it keeps him rested and functional for the next day

s c

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 3:47 pm
Melatonin was a life saver. My child has long grown out of that stage but at the time it changed our nights and our lives.

flower2

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:08 pm
Another vote for melatonin

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
He doesn't sleep. He can be up for the whole night literally. Melatonin and Benadryl don't help.

How much are you giving? Our doctor said tbe smallest dose that works in 20-30 minutes. For us it’s 2mg for one child, a quarter mg for another.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)