Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Camp 101, please help
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:19 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Tashbar is more yeshivish and they don’t allow shorts but I’m pretty sure all the kids are in adidas pants and tee shirts. What school do they do to?

He goes to a pretty yeshivishe school in boro park, and my younger sons go to Noam day camp for reference.

Thanks for posting pictures! It's so different than what they've been encouraged to wear for the past 10+ years (only collared shirts, normal pants, dark suit+white shirt+black shoes for shabbos, no shorts past 2nd grade, etc)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:22 am
A couple posters mentioned a folding chair? Can someone post a picture or link so I know what I'm looking for?

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:49 am
Do they make camp socks for boys, same as girls socks that can be labeled with a permanent marker?

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Omg, I can amazon stuff to him?!?! What a relief. I didn't think of that. Phewww.

A sock bag is a smaller laundry bag?

How much are tips usually (minimum amounts, I can barely scrape it together and dh doesn't get it so I have to push for it)

A lot of camps don’t allow packages any more so you might want to double check

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A couple posters mentioned a folding chair? Can someone post a picture or link so I know what I'm looking for?

Not absolutely necessary but something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....2d8ba

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:22 am
It sounds like all he needs are dark pants (washable), polos and white button down shirts.
Here's the chair.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza.....=true

GetReal

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:59 am
Does the camp have a website where you can see pics from past years?

We’re Lubavitch and my son wears white button down shirts and navy or black cotton pants all year. For the summer he wears the same thing for davening/learning. For sports he may change to a t shirt or polo shirt or some days just stick with the white shirt. No ironing or dry clean in camp!

newmother

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 3:15 pm
My son is going to tashbar but a younger grade. They sent an email with a packing list I would suggest you start with that as a guide. I am sending a mix of polo shirts and sports shirts and a mix of school pants and sport pants but this is the first boy I am sending to sleepaway so I am guessing as to what makes sense

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Labelland.com has the best labels ever.

The packing list specifies (in capital letters, no less Surprised ) no clothing stamps, and no iron on labels, ONLY sew on. Surely I'm not meant to sit and sew labels onto a million and one items?!?!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 10:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The packing list specifies (in capital letters, no less Surprised ) no clothing stamps, and no iron on labels, ONLY sew on. Surely I'm not meant to sit and sew labels onto a million and one items?!?!

It sounds like the camp is tired of dealing with labels that fall off.
Just adhere the stick on labels properly and they will stay on.

Press and press firmly onto the clothing tag. Don't wash for 24 hours. Stays on really nicely.
If it's a tagless item of clothing, make sure to press it onto words of the brand/size, because if you just press it onto a random part of fabric, it won't stay long.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Press and press firmly onto the clothing tag. Don't wash for 24 hours. Stays on really nicely.
If it's a tagless item of clothing, make sure to press it onto words of the brand/size, because if you just press it onto a random part of fabric, it won't stay long.

Thanks for all your advice on this thread!

So I'm on the shirtstop website...the iron on or the stick on?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all your advice on this thread!

So I'm on the shirtstop website...the iron on or the stick on?

The question is do you have time to iron on 90 labels (on each sock, underwear, caps...)? If you do, then they do last longer. I used to do that. I just can't anymore. It's too much.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:14 pm
And this might be the dumbest question ever...but there are three lines on the labels...one for his name, and the other two for...?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And this might be the dumbest question ever...but there are three lines on the labels...one for his name, and the other two for...?

Address and phone number.
BUT. 3 lines means the words are tiny.
I do 2 lines and then they automatically use a larger font.

Name
Phone Number

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Socks don't really have words/brands/size...where would I stick it on to? Or is there a particular brand of socks that would have? Sorry for all the questions, and Ra mom you're amazing.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Socks don't really have words/brands/size...where would I stick it on to? Or is there a particular brand of socks that would have? Sorry for all the questions, and Ra mom you're amazing.

No problem at all. There are camp socks that have a white label area on the bottom.
Otherwise the socks we have from Memoi and JPR do have embroidered size/brand on the bottom and the stickers stick better to that area (but you can expect to lose some socks anyway).
https://doubleheaderusa.com/me.....pack/

They look like this (but the Amazon link is way overpriced).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....585cd

I believe I saw them in crew socks for boys.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:39 pm
My son camp also said no iron ons. Too bad.
We do self stick for labels. Iron on for socks and undershirts. It worked fine. And a sharpie for stuff. Label anything you want to come home.

Camp chair you can get cheap at Walmart.

Only one suit. No one I know even owns two suits. Tell him to spot clean it.

If he is over bar mitzvah only one hat.

Send safety pins attached to sock bag. Tell him to pin it shut when sending to wash.

My son goes to really yeshivish camp. They wear white Shirts and black pants to davening and learning. For sports they were the Tiros and t-shirts. Some kids do only polos. Others fo collarless. Others do name brands. I think he should fo what is comfortable. Button down white shorts will stick out.
Maybe white polos would be a good compromise.

Send a Nosh box. Gatorade for erev fast.
(Unless he is flying then extra canteen money)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:09 am
sky wrote:
My son camp also said no iron ons. Too bad.
We do self stick for labels. Iron on for socks and undershirts. It worked fine. And a sharpie for stuff. Label anything you want to come home.

Camp chair you can get cheap at Walmart.

Only one suit. No one I know even owns two suits. Tell him to spot clean it.

If he is over bar mitzvah only one hat.

Send safety pins attached to sock bag. Tell him to pin it shut when sending to wash.

My son goes to really yeshivish camp. They wear white Shirts and black pants to davening and learning. For sports they were the Tiros and t-shirts. Some kids do only polos. Others fo collarless. Others do name brands. I think he should fo what is comfortable. Button down white shorts will stick out.
Maybe white polos would be a good compromise.

Send a Nosh box. Gatorade for erev fast.
(Unless he is flying then extra canteen money)

Thanks! So I'll do a mix of stick on and iron on.

I did see the packing list said safety pins for socks and I was wondering why he needs it if he has a sock bag. Thanks for explaining!

Got the chair for ten bucks (thanks Ra mom for linking!).

And he spoke to two boys in his chevrah. They're a doing button down color shirts, and they know they'll be in the minority. They're young and idealistic enough not to care. So I got him white short sleeve button downs for learning/davening. Then several colored button downs, a few colored polos, and a few sports shirts, and a couple camo tshirts. I've covered my bases and he'll figure out who he wants to be I guess.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! So I'll do a mix of stick on and iron on.

I did see the packing list said safety pins for socks and I was wondering why he needs it if he has a sock bag. Thanks for explaining!

Got the chair for ten bucks (thanks Ra mom for linking!).

And he spoke to two boys in his chevrah. They're a doing button down color shirts, and they know they'll be in the minority. They're young and idealistic enough not to care. So I got him white short sleeve button downs for learning/davening. Then several colored button downs, a few colored polos, and a few sports shirts, and a couple camo tshirts. I've covered my bases and he'll figure out who he wants to be I guess.

I’m glad you got the tee shirts and polos because I’m assuming he will stick out like a sore thumb with colored button downs. He will probably realize that he is embarrassed to wear them a few days into camp and start wearing the tee shirts. The polos should also be fine.

zigi

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:03 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Following. Any affordable t shirt suggestions? I just can't see spending that amount x 12 for a shirt he will wear for 3 weeks.

Amazon has some good shirts for 10 or less. Amazon essentials brand. You don't need a logo. My boys do go to a different camp maybe buy one logo tee and then get cheaper ones. Also look to see if they have pictures of past years to see what most boys are wearing.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics