Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking to get into writing and editing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:54 pm
I am a woman who was successful at school, graduated with a high school diploma and went to a top seminary. I feel like I am not successful in life, I don't want to attend college because in my circles it's not acceptable. I am looking to get into magazine writing and editing can anyone give me some leads.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:58 pm
This is what I do, but not for frum publications. There is a writing group on this site, you may find guidance there.

I do, however, have a college degree and a masters from journalism school. You may no longer need that. But I need to be honest: this is not a field that pays well unless you’re very established.

Writergirl

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am a woman who was successful at school, graduated with a high school diploma and went to a top seminary. I feel like I am not successful in life, I don't want to attend college because in my circles it's not acceptable. I am looking to get into magazine writing and editing can anyone give me some leads.

I write for magazines and also do copywriting...what would you like to know?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:25 pm
What is the entry salary? How did you receive your first job in this field? Do you have a college degree?

Writergirl

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is the entry salary? How did you receive your first job in this field? Do you have a college degree?

I write for Jewish magazines to be clear. Its not a lot of money in the beginning but if you're quick and good eventually editors start reaching out to you and it can add up to a respectable sum. I dont have a degree. I got my 1st job by submitting articles, not being afraid of rejection, learning all I could about the craft and by pursuing all leads even those that bordered on ridiculous.

I can answer more q's if you need. I love talking about writing.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:42 pm
I write for magazines as a side job. But considering the pay, it's really more of a hobby/volunteer opportunity. The magazines pay $0.10 per word, so let's say $200 for a 2000 word feature. The feature could take 10-20 hours to research, track down interviewees, write, and revise. This leaves me with basically minimum wage.
Most magazine writers live in E'Y, where salary expectations are lower; or they are not the family breadwinner.
There are writers who have found a way to earn a good living, such as by copywriting. You need some good business savvy to get there. I don't have that.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:14 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
I write for magazines as a side job. But considering the pay, it's really more of a hobby/volunteer opportunity. The magazines pay $0.10 per word, so let's say $200 for a 2000 word feature. The feature could take 10-20 hours to research, track down interviewees, write, and revise. This leaves me with basically minimum wage.
Most magazine writers live in E'Y, where salary expectations are lower; or they are not the family breadwinner.
There are writers who have found a way to earn a good living, such as by copywriting. You need some good business savvy to get there. I don't have that.

IME a feature article usually runs 2500 words. I get paid more than 0.10 by now which earns me between 325 and 400 per feature. Those take me about 5 hours to write usually less. Figure that out...not too bad per hour for an at home pt job.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:48 am
Wow, amother silver, I could use some speedwriting tips from you. Or maybe some mentoring. Do your articles not require interviewing?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 9:05 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Wow, amother silver, I could use some speedwriting tips from you. Or maybe some mentoring. Do your articles not require interviewing?

My articles do require interviews...usually 3. That shouldn't take more than an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes. After that the writing doesn't usually take more than 3-4 hours. Sometimes I end up with a very chatty interviewee or the writing is harder. In those cases I make less per hour but thats how business goes. I also have an arrangement with the mag. That I write for to get more per interview when there are more than normal needed for the article.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 10:40 am
Join Soferet.
A lot of people manage to do the writing they love by also doing more commercial stuff, like content and other copywriting.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Join Soferet.
A lot of people manage to do the writing they love by also doing more commercial stuff, like content and other copywriting.

Absolutely agree with this. I love fiction but it's the copy jobs (I dont do copy full time) that pull the financial weight. There is a lot of writing opportunity out there.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Absolutely agree with this. I love fiction but it's the copy jobs (I dont do copy full time) that pull the financial weight. There is a lot of writing opportunity out there.

That actually has not been my experience. I began at a print magazine, many years ago, worked my way into a digital spot. Currently I'm doing project work, hourly (writing and editing), unless I'm writing articles. These include interviewing people and research, and I get paid from 50 cents to $2 a word. (Before 15 years ago, it was always $1-2 dollars a word, but that is the part that has changed.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics