Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd 16 yo is very chutzpah to me
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ Mintgreen ] wrote:
Look I love my kids dearly and do a tremendous amount for them. BH they are respectful sweet kids but I never made any agreements when I had them that dinner is going to be a home cooked hot meal. Sometimes it is and sometimes its fish sticks, yogurt, or cereal.

I wonder how old your kids are. When my kids were little, they could eat those supper choices, but it changed once they hit their tweens. No more scrambled eggs and toast with cut up veggies for dinner on a night I want to take it easy.

Everyone's different, but as a parent, yes, I do feel I signed up to care for my kids, and that includes a home cooked dinner when they reached the age that they need it. Or the equivalent in takeout, if I need a break (which is not usually in my budget, so I do the home cooked hot meal.)

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I wonder how old your kids are. When my kids were little, they could eat those supper choices, but it changed once they hit their tweens. No more scrambled eggs and toast with cut up veggies for dinner on a night I want to take it easy.

Everyone's different, but as a parent, yes, I do feel I signed up to care for my kids, and that includes a home cooked dinner when they reached the age that they need it. Or the equivalent in takeout, if I need a break (which is not usually in my budget, so I do the home cooked hot meal.)

I have young teens down to babies.

To each their own. My kids don't seem upset when I'm tired and I tell them to make pasta and eggs for dinner.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread since it's not really about dinner.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:31 pm
I have young teens down to babies.

To each their own. My kids don't seem upset when I'm tired and I tell them to make pasta and eggs for dinner.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread since it's not really about dinner.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with kids pitching in with making dinner. My girls will come in and take over stirring, frying, they get involved in what I am doing, etc...and yeah, they can also make the occasional mac'n'cheese.

But I'm behind planning and coordinating the dinner....and I don't have a concept that I would drop that responsibility depending on their behavior. I won't stop being the parent. I won't tell them to fend for themselves because I don't feel like doing for them.

I support OP in not dropping that role.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 3:52 pm
I'm gonna say the same thing to you as I did to the other chochom who thinks they know what they're talking about.

My point was very specific to the OP. People respect those who respect themselves. My family situation was an example. It was not intended for online armchair therapists to comment on when they have zero information or context. If you knew even half the story you would feel like a complete idiot for even thinking you have a right to an opinion where no asked for it.

From your language you sound abusive to everyone around you but okay.
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children